2016 Presidential Elections

The place where anything goes. Well, almost anything.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

2016 Presidential Elections

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:57 am

Presidential Race

A. The GOP has, once again, screwed the pooch already. This fractured party has again resulted in 14 bazillion 'candidates' filing to run for President. What a mess, an absolute MESS. As in the last 2 debacles you have so many 'candidates' in the mix they end up looking like clowns in a circus. And to get to a final nominee they'll again slice 'n dice each other to pieces and the bloody mess left standing next to Hillary will be gassed.

B. Speaking of clowns .............. TRUMP. I thought his big mouth & frankness would be a good thing, force the other bazillion 'candidates' to deal with important issues they'd otherwise collude to dance around. But the bombastic, cartoonish way he's rolled out is a disaster. It's turned the GOP 'race' into Monday Night Raw. It's ridiculous, absolutely whacked. He's further damaged the chances of the GOP. He's also shot his business dynasty in the foot. If this guy sticks around til the 1st GOP Debate in a few weeks that TV event is going to make The Kardashians look like The Brady Bunch.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: Political Dugout

Postby R27 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:23 am

Everyone said that Hilary and Obama would slice each other to pieces in the primary and then lose to a single Republican candidate. Didn't work out that way. Of course it was McCain and I don't think he really stood a chance.

If anything it kind of indicates how fractured the Republican party is. Rand Paul, Carly Fiorina, and Bobby Jindal are the intriguing GOP candidates to me so far. I'm curious how much Paul will bend his views to fit the common Republican framework.

I will not vote for Hilary. Too divisive. But mainly because I'm ready for something new after 4 years of Bush, 8 years of Clinton, 8 years of Bush, 4 years of Clinton as Secretary of State, and so on. I won't vote for Jeb Bush for the same reason. From 1981 to 2013 (32 years) a Bush or a Clinton was serving as President, Vice President, or Secretary of State.

I'll be a US citizen by the end of the year, so after 12 years of being voting age, I get to actually contribute to you guys screwing up the country!
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:11 am

R27 wrote:If anything it kind of indicates how fractured the Republican party is. Rand Paul, Carly Fiorina, and Bobby Jindal are the intriguing GOP candidates to me so far. I'm curious how much Paul will bend his views to fit the common Republican framework.

The fracture within the Party was the point of my 1st point A. . They're a mess.

Carly Florina is not a serious candidate, just as Michelle Bachman was not. It's a career move. Roll out free on donor's dimes, build your public persona, get a book deal, get contributor deals with media outlets, huge speaking engagement fees, rub elbows with the mega-rich & famous, be a short-term rock star & make a ton of money. It's the Palin business model, million$ & million$ & million$.

Florina can't get a job, hasn't been employed in 10 years - her prime earning years (50-60), why not run for President? (Born here in Austin BTW)

I believe the majority of these candidates have no aspiration whatsoever of being President of the United States. Career moves. Look how many have books just out or coming out. Most know they have zero shot. Does Rick Perry have ANY belief he could be elected? No way. IMO.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:39 am

chevyman58 wrote:Carly Florina is not a serious candidate, just as Michelle Bachman was not. It's a career move. Roll out free on donor's dimes, build your public persona, get a book deal, get contributor deals with media outlets, huge speaking engagement fees, rub elbows with the mega-rich & famous, be a short-term rock star & make a ton of money. It's the Palin business model, million$ & million$ & million$.

Florina can't get a job, hasn't been employed in 10 years - her prime earning years (50-60), why not run for President? (Born here in Austin BTW)

I believe the majority of these candidates have no aspiration whatsoever of being President of the United States. Career moves. Look how many have books just out or coming out. Most know they have zero shot. Does Rick Perry have ANY belief he could be elected? No way. IMO.

I know, but she's still an intriguing candidate to me even if she has no shot and isn't really running for President.

EOCF
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby EOCF » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:09 pm

I think this could be the year we finally see some traction for a 3rd party candidate. Obviously I don't think one will win the election, but if a candidate gets at least 10% of the popular vote, they'll get government funding for the next election on par with the DNC and RNC. That may not matter much to a candidate like Obama, Hillary or Romney, but it would be HUGE for the Libertarians or Independents.

I only think it happens if a couple things break right though.
1. The general election winds up being Bush v. Clinton: Members of both parties would be fairly disgusted to see this and that would turn off millions of would-be voters who simply can't stand to vote for either candidate on name alone.
2. Bernie Sanders and Rand Paul both run: Rand would run as a Libertarian obviously, Sanders would likely run as an Independent. Both of them have rabid followings and die-hard supporters. If they both run, people would be more likely to vote for them IMO as they'd cancel out the hit Bush and Clinton would take.

This would be huge. Funding and public exposure is what makes the world go around in politics, we all know it. Even a little bit of both of those things could really inspire people to start taking 3rd parties a bit more seriously in the future. What could be equally important, is that the DNC and RNC may have to actually start making some changes and not just maintain the status-quo like they've been doing for the last half century.
CSFBL: New York River Pirates: (2037-2114)
40 Playoff appearances, 19 Division titles, 8 League titles
2053, 2057, 2058, 2074, 2090 & 2113 World Champions
Razz
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Razz » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:14 pm

My feeling is that there's a lot of the population that is fed up with the whole system. No matter what party a person is affiliated with, I think everyone agrees that most of the time it's money that does the talking. Lobbyist and big business have an incredible amount of control on how the country is run. The average individual doesn't.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:28 pm

Way to early to be concerned about the number of people running for the GOP. I'm not concerned at the least. Most of those running will be out of contention early on. Then we'll see what message the remaining candidates have. I'm not really up for a Bush candidacy, but I'd vote for him if he is the one running. I'll be watching Walker, Rubio and Kasich quite closely. We'll even see if Christy makes a comeback. I do like Ben Carson, but feel he is too inexperienced. We will have had 8 years of that experience. Will be interesting to say the least, but whomever the nominee is he/she had better be able to speak to and appeal to All people....All Americans from every walk of life.

H. Clinton sticks her foot in her mouth every time she opens it yet due to her treasure chest and the media she'll be in the race. That is unless the American People are tired of the Democratic party, the direction they have taken the Country and this direction continuing under a Clinton Presidency. Personally I despise her and think she should retire and be happy with earning $ on the speaker circuit and being a Grandmother.

Let the mud slinging begin.... 8-)
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:58 pm

I'm curious to see what the major GOP platform parts are going to be. Despite all of the screaming about it, I don't think there is much of a taste on the part of anyone to actual get rid of ACA. If there was, there'd already be discussions of an alternative.

I don't think their tax plan is anything that any of them want to speak on. Especially since Jindal and Walker have made such as mess of their states finances because of massive tax cuts.

Trump has made immigration a serious minefield that all candidates will have to step lightly through.

Race relations and income inequality are sure to be hot button topics that none of theses folks have handled well enough.

Lastly foreign policy. I'm sure this will be their big ticket item. Scream about the ISIL threat and drum up Benghazi for them millionth time.

Should be interesting to see who's able to set themselves apart.
EOCF
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby EOCF » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:21 pm

I keep waiting for a legitimate candidate (from any party) to truly step up and start speaking with more substance to posturing. Whether you love Bernie Sanders' ideologies or despise them, you have to admit that the guy comes across as very open and more honest than the usual politician. You could say similar things about Rand Paul. Unfortunately, neither of them are likely to topple the bigger dogs of the two parties, specifically because neither follow the party line.
CSFBL: New York River Pirates: (2037-2114)
40 Playoff appearances, 19 Division titles, 8 League titles
2053, 2057, 2058, 2074, 2090 & 2113 World Champions
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:17 pm

I'm intrigued by Sanders. He seems less like a politician than the rest of the batch. And I really like his out of the box ideas for moving the country forward. From the GOP side of things, there is absolutely nothing there that gets me motivated. All of those guys are rehashing the same failed policies of the past. To me that's an instant non-starter.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:20 pm

marteezy wrote:I'm intrigued by Sanders. He seems less like a politician than the rest of the batch. And I really like his out of the box ideas for moving the country forward. From the GOP side of things, there is absolutely nothing there that gets me motivated. All of those guys are rehashing the same failed policies of the past. To me that's an instant non-starter.

Instead, we want the failed policies of the future!

Sanders lost his credibility with me when he wanted to make college free for everyone. There is absolutely no way that politicians can make that work.

I don't know that policy will get me all that excited one way or the other. Stay consistent. Less giving people free stuff. We need to get the income more closely related to the expenses. Our governor has been flogged by opponents for what he's done to increase revenues and decrease expenditures, but for the first time in awhile the state should be profitable. Furthering my position that we shouldn't rely on the government to fix our problems. Fixing problems is politically toxic because if politicians solved all the problems, why would we need them?

marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:27 pm

I think there was some strategy behind his comments regarding free college. I'm fairly certain he knows that it will never happen. But it does get the conversation started regarding why does it cost so much and what can be done to lower those costs.

To not do something just because t seems to hard to do doesn't make any sense. Just like repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

As a country we need to start thinking of new ways to move forward.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:31 pm

marteezy wrote:As a country we need to start thinking of new ways to move forward.

Unfortunately, new ways to move forward don't get you elected. Or even through the primaries.

I remember four years ago going, "This? This is the best the Republican party can put forth? No wonder the Democrats win."

Return to “Anything Goes”