Political Dugout

The place where anything goes. Well, almost anything.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: Political Dugout

Postby R27 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm

chevyman58 wrote:
R27 wrote:
marteezy wrote:As a society, we have to placing people on a false pedestal. If there’s any good that may come from the Trump presidency, maybe it will be that we finally start seeing real people run for office instead of these corporately manufactured fools.

That's funny. I think it forces the real people out because the truly smart people are smart enough to realize they want nothing to do with it. I think about running for local office and even then I'm like, do I really want to get involved in this game?

I was a City Council Member, then Mayor, for a growing Texas city of 60,000+ (now 75,000), a 'suburb' of Austin. It was very, very tough & time consuming. The political games were, for me, intolerable. So much so I didn't run for re-election. They were non-compensated elected offices, I was able to self-fund my campaign & afford the time to perform my duties. Many can't.

Oh yeah. My grandpa was involved municipal politics for many years and I've heard lots of stories about his campaigns and the politics involved.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:57 pm

R27 wrote:
marteezy wrote:As a society, we have to placing people on a false pedestal. If there’s any good that may come from the Trump presidency, maybe it will be that we finally start seeing real people run for office instead of these corporately manufactured fools.

That's funny. I think it forces the real people out because the truly smart people are smart enough to realize they want nothing to do with it. I think about running for local office and even then I'm like, do I really want to get involved in this game?

I agree, people ask me if I’d be interested in running all the time. I don’t think I have the patience to do it. I’m involved with our school PTA and I’m an officer on my HOA and that is more than enough for me to know that serving in public office isn’t for me.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:35 am

And there's the problem .............. Two smart, caring guys - too smart to run. So we end up with dumbasses, folks with self-serving agendas or both.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:58 am

Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 am

We must always believe the NY Times....
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 am

I don't think there's any legitimate argument to dispute O'Reilly's a sexist pig, as are many. And Wiehl's affidavit doesn't say all didn't happen, it says she's not pursuing & won't pursue claims that they did - obviously in return for monetary settlement.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:21 pm

Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:02 pm

chevyman58 wrote:I don't think there's any legitimate argument to dispute O'Reilly's a sexist pig, as are many. And Wiehl's affidavit doesn't say all didn't happen, it says she's not pursuing & won't pursue claims that they did - obviously in return for monetary settlement.

Monetary settlement was from Ailes, not O'Reilly. That's not to say O'Reilly is totally innocent and has not approached someone in the past.

I just don't believe all of the left-wing lies they throw out there and frankly am tired of trying to keep up with all of the political bs. Most left wingers are way out there beyond the LF bleachers and make up things daily and from what I can see most Republicans are spineless. Let's see what they ever get done/passed. All however, bow down to the elitists who run the Country. Just my cynical opinion.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:57 am

Not sure what you're referring to, Ailes'/FOX's $20M settlement was with Gretchen Carlson in response to a formal complaint.

Last year, former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson received $20 million from the network to settle her sexual harassment case against then-chairman Roger Ailes.

This one is a settlement directly from O'Reilly to Wiehl, in addition to numerous prior settlements from O'Reilly. In fact, O'Reilly has publicly acknowledged the monetary settlement with Wiehl, as well as his numerous prior settlements - he explains that he settles to save his family pain & suffering.

There's no disputing O'Reilly has paid off numerous accusers including Wiehl here, he admits to doing so. The Left didn't have anything to do with it.

Former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly paid $32 million in January to settle a sexual harassment case — a sum legal experts say is “unprecedented” and “highly unusual.” O’Reilly was ousted from the network in April after it was revealed he had settled several other harassment cases. 21st Century Fox renewed his contract even though executives were aware of the large settlement paid out following complaints by former Fox News legal analyst Lis Wiehl. There was obviously strong and compelling evidence that had to be of a very embarrassing nature that he did not want to become public, and that’s why he’s paying this extraordinary sum. You don’t pay a $32 million settlement if you’ve engaged in no wrongdoing.

Prior to the huge Wiehl settlement, here are five women who received payouts after accusing O’Reilly of sexual harassment or verbal abuse. While the first dates back to 2002, two of the deals were struck in the months since the network’s chairman was dismissed last year. Combined, the settlements totaled about $13 million.

Rachel Witlieb Bernstein
Junior producer at Fox News
SETTLEMENT DATE

Andrea Mackris
A producer on “The O’Reilly Factor”
SETTLEMENT DATE

Rebecca Gomez Diamond
A host on Fox Business Network
SETTLEMENT DATE

Laurie Dhue
Anchor at Fox News
SETTLEMENT DATE

Juliet Huddy
On-air personality at Fox News
SETTLEMENT DATE

O'Reilly, in acknowledging his payouts, said “Just like other prominent and controversial people, I’m vulnerable to lawsuits from individuals who want me to pay them to avoid negative publicity. I’m a father who cares deeply for my children and who would do anything to avoid hurting them in any way. And so I have put to rest any controversies to spare my children".
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:09 am

Re-read the article I saw & stand corrected re: Carlson/Ailes & Weihl/O'Reilly. Read article too fast & misread.

Hell, only the names change. How these men continue to ruin families, abuse women and think there will be no consequences is sad. Don't see an end to this behavior though.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:56 pm

The names are stacking up. Suddenly it's profitable for media outlets to call-out the abusers, after decades of being complicit in protecting them.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Go figure ....................

The Hillary Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee helped fund research that resulted in a now-famous dossier containing allegations about President Trump’s connections to Russia and possible coordination between his campaign and the Kremlin, people familiar with the matter said.

Marc E. Elias, a lawyer representing the Clinton campaign and the DNC, retained Fusion GPS, a Washington firm, to conduct the research.

After that, Fusion GPS hired dossier author Christopher Steele, a former British intelligence officer with ties to the FBI and the U.S. intelligence community, according to those people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Elias and his law firm, Perkins Coie, retained the firm in April 2016 on behalf of the Clinton campaign and the DNC. Before that agreement, Fusion GPS’s research into Trump was funded by a still unknown Republican client during the GOP primary.

The Clinton campaign and the DNC, through the law firm, continued to fund Fusion GPS’s research through the end of October 2016, days before Election Day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 48920cb92e
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:43 am

The lies never cease with this woman:

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/dossi ... id/822140/

As part of the "Elitist" club these Clinton criminals can do no wrong and never get prosecuted for their actions while we have to watch this phony Mueller witch hunt wasting millions of tax payer dollars continue. Unreal.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:12 am

Tulcard wrote:The lies never cease with this woman:

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/dossi ... id/822140/

As part of the "Elitist" club these Clinton criminals can do no wrong and never get prosecuted for their actions while we have to watch this phony Mueller witch hunt wasting millions of tax payer dollars continue. Unreal.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hillary actually didn't know. Plausible deniability, it's how politicians insulate themselves.

It's like in college sports, the assistants are basically charged to do what needs to be done to bring in recruits, but the head coach is kept as in the dark as possible to protect him even though he could probably guess that whatever his assistants are doing isn't quite legal.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:30 am

Wow ................

George H. W. Bush Apologizes After He's Accused of Making a ‘David Cop-a-Feel’ Joke and Groping Second Actress

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/geo ... 09736.html

Return to “Anything Goes”