Political Dugout

The place where anything goes. Well, almost anything.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Re: Political Dugout

Postby chevyman58 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:50 am

marteezy wrote:
mhardy_03 wrote:The politicians in this country suck. But the media is easily a bigger problem because they are the ones that end up convincing people of things.

The people are responsible to form their own opinions. The media simply lays out the events of the day. It’s the individuals responsibility to be able to know the difference between journalism and commentary.

If the individual doesn’t know that difference or is too lazy to do their own research, how is that the media’s fault?

Yes there are media outlets that are less than honest. Thankfully today, you don’t have to rely on just one outlet. There are tons out there that are doing good, credible journalism. But many of us like to stick with outlets that support our beliefs, so we quickly dismiss anything that challenges us as fake news or dishonest.

Fact is, we have to stop being lazy.

Very much yes & quite a bit of no. You're right on many, many millions of people MT. Further, the blind party loyalists don't care about facts.

But there's a sizeable segment of our country that don't have the highest of IQ. There's a sizeable segment that have few resources. There's a sizeable segment that work long hours, have lots of family responsibilities. Many have multiples of the above.

I know that for the 25 years I was working, building & raising a family there was very little time to read the paper or watch TV. I might go days & days with no time to do either, often just a few minutes of one show in the evening or a scan of the front section & the local section headlines. So the guy/gal who can only catch an occasional 'news' segment or internet/newspaper article is certainly wide-open to misinformation, particularly the way ALL of the 'news' channels structure the way they tell so many stories. If you turn it on 2 minutes in, you hear things presented as fact rather than maybes. And all of the many competing 24-hr cable networks intentionally blur the lines between journalism & opinion. That's not Joe Schmo's fault or because he's lazy.

I agree with you for many, but the media bears tremendous responsibility for many as well. Some of these hosts just flat lie, egregiously, daily.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:01 am

You are correct, as a nation we aren’t nearly as smart or sophisticated as we’d like to believe we are. There are far too many people that don’t know the difference between journalism and commentary. The fact that people believe that Hannity, Mathews and those likes are actual journalists is alarming.

Today, everyone is busy. But with the accessibility we have to information, there is absolutely no justification to be misinformed. A healthy mix of liberal, conservative and straight down the middle News will do everyone some good. You can see all sides of a discussion and form your own opinion.

Unfortunately, we choose to suit up in our red or blue jersey and only listen or read red or blue supporting news and we continue the cycle of electing officials that are incapable of getting the job done because they don’t want to upset their base.

Sadly, they’ve forgotten this cool word called compromise and the fact that in a functioning democracy, no one is supposed to walk away from the bargaining table fully satisfied, because you’ve had to give and take.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 pm

The problem is that there isn't a "straight down the middle" news source. They are all one side or another. They purposely frame it as red vs blue and try to make people pick a side like it is a team sport so that they stay as the only 2 parties that matter. We need a good 3rd party but I don't see it happening without some sort of huge change.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2120):
84 seasons, 8407-5033 (.626), 75 Playoff Apps, 53 Division Titles, 36 League Titles
13 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104, 2115, 2117, 2119)
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:01 pm

mhardy_03 wrote:The problem is that there isn't a "straight down the middle" news source. They are all one side or another. They purposely frame it as red vs blue and try to make people pick a side like it is a team sport so that they stay as the only 2 parties that matter. We need a good 3rd party but I don't see it happening without some sort of huge change.

There are a large number of down the middle sources. Some people, be it left or right view some of them as slanted because they don’t like the subject matter covered. But, the story has to be told. If there is something newsworthy happening, it has to be reported.

And you know what, if multiple outlets are reporting on a similar story and it’s well sourced, well, maybe just maybe, there is some truth there. And people forget, that as long as there has been journalism there have been anonymous and unnamed sources.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:37 am

marteezy wrote:
mhardy_03 wrote:The problem is that there isn't a "straight down the middle" news source. They are all one side or another. They purposely frame it as red vs blue and try to make people pick a side like it is a team sport so that they stay as the only 2 parties that matter. We need a good 3rd party but I don't see it happening without some sort of huge change.

There are a large number of down the middle sources. Some people, be it left or right view some of them as slanted because they don’t like the subject matter covered. But, the story has to be told. If there is something newsworthy happening, it has to be reported.

And you know what, if multiple outlets are reporting on a similar story and it’s well sourced, well, maybe just maybe, there is some truth there. And people forget, that as long as there has been journalism there have been anonymous and unnamed sources.

Tell me one remotely large media source that has no bias.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

84 seasons, 8407-5033 (.626), 75 Playoff Apps, 53 Division Titles, 36 League Titles
13 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104, 2115, 2117, 2119)
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 am

NYT/WaPo/CNN- They were all in on the Clinton email story. A bias would’ve been to not report on it or poopoo it away.

SIRIUSXM POTUS Channel - The majority of their shows are designed to give a non-biased, down the middle honest view of the news.

PBS
Politico
Reuters
AP

Remember, just because the president calls many of those agencies/outlets fake news, doesn’t mean it’s true. This is a guy that leans on the sage advice of Alex Jones.
Elite1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Postby Elite1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 am

Media bias study... http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/Media ... -UCLA-6664

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Elite1 wrote:Media bias study... http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/Media ... -UCLA-6664

Here’s a more current article that speaks of media bias.

Believe me, it’s a real thing and just because of the nature of journalism, most of it will always have a more liberal slant, but ultimately, good journalists write where the story takes them. Be it favorable or unfavorable to red or blue.

Consumers just have to be willing to do a little work instead of expecting the media to spoon feed it to them.

http://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=637508&p=4462444
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:43 pm

marteezy wrote:NYT/WaPo/CNN- They were all in on the Clinton email story. A bias would’ve been to not report on it or poopoo it away. .

WORST EXAMPLES EVER! I mean, come on .................

Your others are very legit though.
Elite1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Postby Elite1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:09 pm

marteezy wrote:
Elite1 wrote:Media bias study... http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/Media ... -UCLA-6664

Here’s a more current article that speaks of media bias.

Believe me, it’s a real thing and just because of the nature of journalism, most of it will always have a more liberal slant, but ultimately, good journalists write where the story takes them. Be it favorable or unfavorable to red or blue.

Consumers just have to be willing to do a little work instead of expecting the media to spoon feed it to them.

http://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=637508&p=4462444

OK, the study you post, does not list Rueters or AP, so we will throw those out, for now. The study shows the NYT, WP, PBS and Politico, are further to the left of center, than Fox news is right of center! So, FoxNews, the source the left often cites as being so out of touch with reality, yet the study you cite, shows FoxNews closer to the center, than the majority of sources you cite as unbiased. Furthermore, I am of the opinion, since this study was done, FoxNews has moved closer to the center, since Murdoch has given his children control of his empire. I also believe that CNN has moved further to the left, in the past few years.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 am

Hey. You guys can read and listen to what you want. The point is, you should have a mixed diet of information. Too much of one thing is not good.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:27 am

marteezy wrote:Hey. You guys can read and listen to what you want. The point is, you should have a mixed diet of information. Too much of one thing is not good.

Agreed. Each news site is going to put their own spin on it to fit their agenda or push the narrative they want. Whether that be CNN, MSNBC, FOX News or Brietbart, HuffPo, or the Daily Stormer. And when you read enough articles on the same piece of news, you should begin to understand that the truth is somewhere between all of them and no one is representative of the truth.

marteezy wrote:NYT/WaPo/CNN- They were all in on the Clinton email story. A bias would’ve been to not report on it or poopoo it away.

I totally disagree with this though. If they declined to report on it, they would have lost their credibility. You cover it because it's news, but you make sure it pushes the narrative in the direction you want it to go. You down play it (as most news sources did).

I remember during the election cycle liberals arguing that Trump should liquidate all his businesses so he could focus on being President. Which I laughed at because A) the complaint was his business deals would create a conflict of interests with potential business partners, B) easily take the entire first term to complete all the deals, and C) business deals could be a way to pay him off under the table. Then a few months in there was a front page story at USA Today, several thousand words about how foreign interests could be paying off Trump through otherwise legitimate real estate transactions... and a couple of sentences buried somewhere about 80% of the way through about how they had reviewed all of Trump's real estate transactions since the election cycle began and couldn't find any evidence of anything being sold above market value, but it couldn't still happen so they were committed to staying on the case!

That is media bias. Report facts, focus on the conclusions that fit your agenda, and downplay those that don't.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:10 pm

If the WaPo/NYT/CNN tried to bury the Clinton email scandal, that would’ve been a bias. But they didn’t. In fact they were all very aggressive with the story. In fact, many agencies seemed to not really want to dig in on the Trump’s comments regarding where he likes to grab women.

I think people have their personal bias and when something is published that challenges their bias, they perceive it as a bias.

If you are a conservative, you’ve been conditioned by the right wing media to believe that there is a left wing media bias. Just as those on the left have been conditioned.

Ultimately, it comes down to the individual to decide for themselves based on the information they’ve been presented, how they will handle and process the information.

But screaming fake news whenever a story is written that you don’t like or doesn’t shine a good light on your belief isn’t a viable option either.

Fact is, media literacy on the part of this nations electorate is lacking because we’ve become lazy and we don’t know how to process all of the information made available to us today.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:45 pm

marteezy wrote:If the WaPo/NYT/CNN tried to bury the Clinton email scandal, that would’ve been a bias. But they didn’t. In fact they were all very aggressive with the story. In fact, many agencies seemed to not really want to dig in on the Trump’s comments regarding where he likes to grab women.

This is absolutely laughable. EVERY media outlet grabbed on to this and ran wild with it outside of maybe Fox News. What are you even talking about?

marteezy wrote:I think people have their personal bias and when something is published that challenges their bias, they perceive it as a bias.

If you are a conservative, you’ve been conditioned by the right wing media to believe that there is a left wing media bias. Just as those on the left have been conditioned.

I have never once heard a left wing person say anything about any sort of major media bias outside of Fox News. Literally the only one. I don't consider Breitbart to be a real media source so don't bring that up.

I'm sorry man, if you think WaPo/NYT/CNN are anywhere close to center, then you are WAY off to the left. I agree with parts of both sides of the aisle, but can't stand either party, and I can see that those 3 are all left leaning shills. In fact, I'd say these are actually the worst type of media because they have obvious bias while still claiming to be neutral and unbiased. At least MSNBC and Fox News own their bias.

Recently, James O'Keefe (like him or not) outed the NYT as being biased and bragging about slanting Trump coverage and mocked the idea of being an objective journalist. NYT responded and did not say he was wrong. If just reading their articles doesn't show you that they are biased, then maybe them not denying it should.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:34 pm

That’s the beauty of America. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Return to “Anything Goes”