Page 22 of 24

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:15 pm
by mhardy_03
marteezy wrote:That’s the beauty of America. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Agree. Except it isn't an opinion if their own workers admit to it.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:26 pm
by chevyman58
mhardy_03 wrote:
marteezy wrote:If the WaPo/NYT/CNN tried to bury the Clinton email scandal, that would’ve been a bias. But they didn’t. In fact they were all very aggressive with the story. In fact, many agencies seemed to not really want to dig in on the Trump’s comments regarding where he likes to grab women.

This is absolutely laughable. EVERY media outlet grabbed on to this and ran wild with it outside of maybe Fox News. What are you even talking about? .


Yeah ............. I agree Hardy. CNN was APOLOGETIC and DEFENDED Hillary over the email, as did MSNBC - ENDLESSLY.

And CNN/MSNBC played the Access Hollywood tape over & over & over, all day, all night, with commenting panels for days & days & days & days. CNN played it hourly jusy last week on the 1-year anniversary of it's release and are STILL referencing it today as they use the Harvey Weinstein story to drag back up Trump, O'Reilly & Ailes and paint them with the same brush.

No one is more biased than MSNBC, NBC & CNN. Not even the Huffington Post.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 pm
by R27
If you don't think a particular media outlet is biased, it's because your bias matches theirs. So liberals think MSNBC/CNN are unbiased news sources and conservatives think FOX News is an unbiased news source.

I consider myself fairly up the middle and I see the fact that I can't watch more than five minutes of any cable news channel before I'm screaming at the hosts for being idiots and am more likely to hurl the remote through the TV screen than change it as evidence of that.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:31 pm
by mhardy_03
R27 wrote:I consider myself fairly up the middle and I see the fact that I can't watch more than five minutes of any cable news channel before I'm screaming at the hosts for being idiots and am more likely to hurl the remote through the TV screen than change it as evidence of that.

I stopped watching any of them a while back for this exact reason. Both sides are guilty of being stupid. The hypocrisy of both sides is ridiculous. The media in this country is trash.

Like I said earlier, I actually respect MSNBC and Fox News because they are clearly biased but at least they admit and own their bias. CNN and those garbage newspapers claim to be unbiased but clearly aren't.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:04 am
by chevyman58
FOX News' prime-time coverage of the Weinstein scandal was absolutely cringe-worthy with hypocrisy last night. I mean, BAD. For Carlson & Hannity to rant & rave & feign outrage, considering the Ailes, O'Reilly, Bowling, etc. scandals & in-house culture, is just ridiculous.

I actually think Erin Burnett & CNN have done a solid job of covering the Weinstein story so far. She's even been critical of Hillary for the slow response to the issue.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 am
by R27
chevyman58 wrote:I actually think Erin Burnett & CNN have done a solid job of covering the Weinstein story so far. She's even been critical of Hillary for the slow response to the issue.

I find this laughable that people are criticized for not issuing statements on this. All for a statement that is basically, "Sexual assault is bad, mmkay?"

But how will we ever possibly know that they think it's bad!

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 pm
by chevyman58
Little different here with Hillary.

A. Close friends with Weinstein & numerous public appearances with him.
B. Accepted mega-bucks (by various reports) he directly gave or bundled to her Pacs & DNC including recent Pres race.
C. Hosted numerous fundraisers with Hillary, fundraisers where women's-rights issues were a hook for donations by the rich & famous.
D. She offers public opinion to media regularly on major topics, particularly outspoken on women's rights issues.
E. She was just a Pres candidate & women's rights issues a major platform point.
F. Many women, including at least a couple of the accusers, view Hillary as their 'leader'.

But, generally-speaking, I agree with you. Just not when a public figure publicly comments on the same issue & is close to the accused.

Here's your point:

Right-wing advocate: "Hillary just needs to shut-up & go away. You lost, get over it. Nobody cares what you have to say".
Same right-wing advocate: "Why hasn't Hillary condemned Weinstein? It's been a couple days, why won't she speak up?"

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm
by marteezy
R27 wrote:If you don't think a particular media outlet is biased, it's because your bias matches theirs. So liberals think MSNBC/CNN are unbiased news sources and conservatives think FOX News is an unbiased news source.

I consider myself fairly up the middle and I see the fact that I can't watch more than five minutes of any cable news channel before I'm screaming at the hosts for being idiots and am more likely to hurl the remote through the TV screen than change it as evidence of that.


For me it all comes down to understanding what I’m watching. I’m an unashamed liberal, but I don’t need a nor want a steady dose of left leaning news.

I like to read well written and well sourced journalism. That’s why I like NYT and WAPO. I personally think they do a very good job of reporting what’s happening. I don’t believe they cut Obama any breaks, nor did they cut Clinton, either one any breaks.

What we are seeing from the Trump Administration is unprecedented and media outlets would be negligent by not reporting on it.

But hey, whatever floats peoples boats. I have a healthy balanced media diet and it serves me pretty well. Heck, every now and then, I even bite down hard and watch buffoons like Hannity and Maher have to say. But I know they aren’t breaking any news, they are nothing more than talking heads putting their spin on the news.

As for the Weinstein stuff. I find it laughable that the very same conservatives that turned a blind eye to the horrible things the president has said and has been accused of want the liberals to do something very few of them had the courage to do; hold someone accountable.

The hypocrisy in today’s politics is comical.

People need to remember, we shape the party, the party should never shape the individual.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:53 am
by chevyman58
marteezy wrote:What we are seeing from the Trump Administration is unprecedented and media outlets would be negligent by not reporting on it.


Ain't that the truth. Mr. Looney Tunes has reached the point of statements & behavior that it's become moot to criticize the left-leaning media about their coverage of him. I mean, the guys is completely off the wall. He gives them ammo every single day, just completely needless ammo.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 am
by chevyman58
So last night Hannity spent the vast majority of his show bashing & pounding Hillary & Bill Clinton. Apparently Rush did much of the same thing on his radio show yesterday.

WTF is wrong with these guys? Leave them alone, move on. Focus on the future instead of ginning up more hate & division while pounding on the left & the 'mainstream media' for ginning up hate & division. LEAVE THE CLINTONS ALONE - TRUMP ESPECIALLY - MOVE ON.

ALL a buncha ratings-seeking, money-grubbing hypocrites. RIDICULOUS.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:17 am
by marteezy
We are truly in a sorry state right now. It’s kinda like we are living through a real life version of “Idiocracy”.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:59 pm
by R27
chevyman58 wrote:But, generally-speaking, I agree with you. Just not when a public figure publicly comments on the same issue & is close to the accused.

I agree, but did we expect Hillary to say, "I support him and am totally acceptable with him sexual assaulting people." No, I think we could have all assumed what Hillary was going to say to the point it was unnecessary to say it. Though she's also the woman who continuously fought to cover up her husband's sexual assault allegations as well, so not sure she really has a moral leg to stand on there. But it's like a sports team whose player gets pulled over for a DUI and the team issues a statement saying that they don't condone it. No poop, Sherlock.

Further, what I think it interesting/intriguing/disgusting is that everyone seemed to know. But nobody cared to stand up and speak about it until now. That's why Trump can sit there and say he's famous so he can go up to a woman and "grab 'em by the pussy" and it's fine, because he knows nobody is going to say anything. That's the bigger problem behind the statement Trump made. In many respects, he is a creature of his environment because the society he lives in doesn't care about this further than what it takes to settle the case.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:24 pm
by marteezy
Like Metallica said, Sad but true. We have so many people that want to clutch their bible and drape themselves in a flag in public. Yet behind closed doors, those same people are some of the most morally reprehensible people you will come across.

As a society, we have to placing people on a false pedestal. If there’s any good that may come from the Trump presidency, maybe it will be that we finally start seeing real people run for office instead of these corporately manufactured fools.

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:32 pm
by R27
marteezy wrote:As a society, we have to placing people on a false pedestal. If there’s any good that may come from the Trump presidency, maybe it will be that we finally start seeing real people run for office instead of these corporately manufactured fools.

That's funny. I think it forces the real people out because the truly smart people are smart enough to realize they want nothing to do with it. I think about running for local office and even then I'm like, do I really want to get involved in this game?

Re: Political Dugout

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:54 pm
by chevyman58
R27 wrote:
marteezy wrote:As a society, we have to placing people on a false pedestal. If there’s any good that may come from the Trump presidency, maybe it will be that we finally start seeing real people run for office instead of these corporately manufactured fools.

That's funny. I think it forces the real people out because the truly smart people are smart enough to realize they want nothing to do with it. I think about running for local office and even then I'm like, do I really want to get involved in this game?


I was a City Council Member, then Mayor, for a growing Texas city of 60,000+ (now 75,000), a 'suburb' of Austin. It was very, very tough & time consuming. The political games were, for me, intolerable. So much so I didn't run for re-election. They were non-compensated elected offices, I was able to self-fund my campaign & afford the time to perform my duties. Many can't.