Immigration

The place where anything goes. Well, almost anything.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Immigration

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 am

Read this one - 'A nightmare': Family bids goodbye as undocumented father of 2 is deported to Mexico - https://www.yahoo.com/gma/nightmare-fam ... ories.html

HOW in the heck is this ok ??????

This is the mess our jackass elected officials have created by not enforcing all terms an conditions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. We gave millions amnesty and drew a line in the sand to not have the mess continue. Nobody held the line, the mess got worse.

Absolutely shameful ...................
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: Immigration

Postby R27 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 am

I don't really understand this. In this situation, if he's married to an American citizen and has kids, he should be allowed to stay.

Process-wise, if he were to leave, in six months he should be able to apply for a visa to return so it is not a permanent deportation. But there is a hardship waiver and I would imagine it difficult to argue that deporting a husband and father of U.S. citizens would not qualify.

So as someone who has dealt with the immigration system most of his life, coming here on a visa and then getting a green card and then getting citizenship a year and a half ago, I have lots of questions. But nobody is ever going to ask them. Probably because most reporters really aren't all that well versed in the immigration system so they don't know what they don't know.

For the most part, I'm in favor of returning illegal immigrants to their home countries as often as we find them. As someone who immigrated here legally and progressed through the prescribed system to citizenship, it's an easy system. The problem comes when you skip steps and it pisses me off that politicians want to just give citizenship to all these illegal immigrants. I'm not opposed to giving them some kind of permanent residency status so they can pay taxes and use government services, but they should not be rewarded with citizenship. Permanent residency with no possibility of citizenship is the answer.

The irony of it all is that the main reason the Democrats make this such a big deal is because they believe, likely correctly, especially if they're the ones that make citizenship happen, that the majority of illegal immigrants will vote Democrat if given voting rights. So if Republicans pushed hard for my concept of permanent residency with no possibility of citizenship, it would expose the Democrats' stance as nothing more than pandering for votes and not about protecting people and looking out for the welfare of their families.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 pm

I think every politician is playing to their base. The republicans are playing to the white Americans that have been conditioned to believe that anyone with brown skin is a threat to them. And the Dems are trying to play the long game of being the party based on inclusion.

That said, I’ll always side with decency and inclusion over fear and ignorance. Nearly every person in this country has roots that started some place else. Instead of spending money on a stupid wall, spend money to speed up the process for people to gain citizenship.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:21 am

Lol. Republicans are racists and Democrats are tolerant and inclusive. Got it. You clearly got the DNC talking points memo. Pretty sure neither have been true for the past year plus though.

I actually agree that the immigration process needs to be fixed, especially for people who contribute in a positive way here. But partisan virtue signaling is ridiculous.

Neither party is worth a damn IMO because neither care about what they claim to. All either cares about is power. It is laughable to claim one is better than the other without being a partisan hack and likely a hypocrite.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2122):
86 seasons, 8633-5127 (.627), 77 Playoff Apps, 55 Division Titles, 38 League Titles
15 World Series Titles (last in 2122)
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:42 am

Last President to 'fix' immigration was Reagan. Gave amnesty to millions. Established extensive rules & programs & security measures.

Problem is next 4 Presidents and numerous Republican & Dem House & Senates DID NOT stick to the deal, didn't fund all, didn't enforce.

Not so much the 4 yrs of Bush 1 as he was early, 8 yrs Clinton 1, 8 yrs Bush 2, 8 yrs Obama. NOBODY EVEN TRIED TO FIX IMMIGRATION.

So while Trump is certainly a douche, at least he's willing to put immigration on the table.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 am

Sanctuary City San Francisco - again & again & again & again. Insanity ....................

Rosenberg and his wife, an attorney, raised three children. In November of 2010, the family was shattered by the news that their eldest, Drew, a second-year law student, had been killed in a traffic accident in San Francisco.

Drew, 25, was riding his motorcycle at an intersection. A Honduran-born man named Roberto Galo hit Rosenberg at low speed and then, either in panic, confusion or an attempt to get away, hit him again.

"He backed up, drove over him a second time, and then went forward again," said Don Rosenberg. "The rear tire was on my son's abdomen. He was probably already dead at that point, I don't know."

Rosenberg began investigating the accident and the background of the driver. Among other things, he discovered that Galo was in the United States on temporary protected status, which means he could have qualified for a driver's license.

But Galo didn't have one. And Rosenberg found that five months before his son's death, Galo had been stopped by police and cited for going the wrong way on a one-way street and driving without a license or insurance.

After the accident that took young Rosenberg's life, Galo was convicted of voluntary manslaughter, sentenced to six months in jail, and was released after 43 days.

Absolutely RIDICULOUS!

http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html

Return to “Anything Goes”