Kolten Wong signs an extension ($25.5M/5 + opt)

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Re: Kolten Wong signs an extension ($25.5M/5 + opt)

Postby marteezy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:12 pm

All of Kolten Wong's problems lie squarely between his ears. Once he learns to forget about the last play or last at bat and focus on the next one, he will reach his potential. Until then, the struggles and inconsistencies will continue.

Hopefully this assignment serves as a wake up call for him. If it doesn't, I don't think he will be in the Lou this time next year.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:14 pm

chevyman58 wrote:Let's be frank about WHY he was about to find no playing time - because he's not very good. As you said yourself, he's had plenty of opportunities. Neither Greg Garcia or Jedd Gyrko are second-comings of Jeff Kent. That's who distanced themselves from Kolten & buried him. And now that Diaz found an opportunity by double-injury and then performed, there's no place for Kolten. None. Unless Peralta, Carp or Garcia, perhaps even two of them simultaneously as all have multi-position proficiency, end up on the DL I don't see an opening for Wong.

I agree, definitely. Second base has a lot of moving parts and there are probably 10 different ways I can come up with to not play Wong. And if Carpenter, Peralta, Diaz, Gyorko, and Garcia are all hitting better, why would I play Wong?

I think Wong playing some center field would be good for him too. He needs some versatility like Carpenter added after the 2011 season right now, because if had some experience in the outfield, I could have seen a situation where Hazelbaker was sent out. He played CF his freshman year in college. I'd like to see him out there some while he's in Memphis. Sounds like he's open to that, but I don't see it happening this year unless he specifically asks for it.

Gyorko turned himself around last June with three weeks in the minors and hit 14 HR in the second half last season. Now enjoying the best start to a season since he was a rookie. Wong could do the same, but yeah, how he gets back to the big leagues is a big question right now. Which is why I like the versatility route. Especially right now with gaps in the system.

marteezy wrote:All of Kolten Wong's problems lie squarely between his ears. Once he learns to forget about the last play or last at bat and focus on the next one, he will reach his potential. Until then, the struggles and inconsistencies will continue.

Hopefully this assignment serves as a wake up call for him. If it doesn't, I don't think he will be in the Lou this time next year.

He's also way off on his timing at the plate too. He's been holding his leg kick a little longer than he has in the past and that's screwing up his balance and power. Looks like he's closed up a bit too (if I was slumping when I played, it was usually because I'd closed up my stance without realizing), but that could have just been the camera angles I was looking at. So fixing that will be important too. He might need a Jon Jay-type revamp of his swing to eliminate some of those timing mechanisms that just invite slumps.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:19 pm

R27 wrote: I think Wong playing some center field would be good for him too. He needs some versatility like Carpenter added after the 2011 season right now, because if had some experience in the outfield, I could have seen a situation where Hazelbaker was sent out. He played CF his freshman year in college. I'd like to see him out there some while he's in Memphis. Sounds like he's open to that, but I don't see it happening this year unless he specifically asks for it.

I caught a bass when I was 12, not a springboard to now start training for fishing derbies ......................... :o :shock: :lol:

CF's no easy task, and he's got little height, but get some time somewhere. However, it's all about hitting & then baserunning. If he was hitting he'd be playing, or at least staying. He might increase his value playing some 3B as much as all the OF spots.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:28 am

Wong homered in his first at-bat and hit a grand slam in the last at-bat during his season debut with Memphis yesterday.

Wong went three for five with two homers and a walk-off grand slam to win the game 8-5 for the Triple-A Redbirds. Memphis led Colorado Springs 2-1 going into the ninth, when reliever Sam Tuivailala allowed a grand slam that gave the Sky Sox a 5-2 lead. Memphis scored six without making an out in the bottom of the ninth, capped by Wong's slam.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 9d738.html
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:03 am

Way to come out swinging Kolten.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:14 am

Wong needs to spend a survivalist week in the woods with Chris Carpenter for a little bulldog training .....................
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:23 am

chevyman58 wrote:
R27 wrote: I think Wong playing some center field would be good for him too. He needs some versatility like Carpenter added after the 2011 season right now, because if had some experience in the outfield, I could have seen a situation where Hazelbaker was sent out. He played CF his freshman year in college. I'd like to see him out there some while he's in Memphis. Sounds like he's open to that, but I don't see it happening this year unless he specifically asks for it.

I caught a bass when I was 12, not a springboard to now start training for fishing derbies ......................... :o :shock: :lol:

CF's no easy task, and he's got little height, but get some time somewhere. However, it's all about hitting & then baserunning. If he was hitting he'd be playing, or at least staying. He might increase his value playing some 3B as much as all the OF spots.

Just came across this from Mo:

Mozeliak said Wong’s résumé might be enhanced by his being able to play other positions but that he would play only second at Memphis. “Obviously, the key is what he does at the plate,” said Mozeliak. “It’s more important to get going offensively.”
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:37 am

I think Wong has a long road back and am not sure he will regain a starting 2B position with the Cardinals. Carpenter is at the position he prefers and although he is a team player and will shift positions if necessary I don't see Wong dislodging him from 2B. Perhaps when Peralta is gone....we'll have to see. Sure learning to play other positions may help him, but IMO his main issue is that he plays head games with himself. Until he can overcome this he will remain in limbo.... 8-)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:15 pm

Wong's versatility will only come if he takes it upon himself to ask to play more than second base. See Holliday and first base this winter (team didn't ask him). See Carpenter and adding multiple positions after 2011.

marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:59 pm

The team is better with a mentally healthy Wong at second. The kid has the tools, he's just gotta trust in his ability. However, with a guy like him, having him in and out of the lineup for stretches at a time isn't good for his psyche.

I think the team should keep him in Memphis until they are able to guarantee him the ability to play everyday. If they can't or are reluctant, so be it. Trade him. But the in and out isn't good for him.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Wong is playing CF and batting leadoff tonight for Memphis!

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:48 pm

chevyman58 wrote:Mozeliak said Wong’s résumé might be enhanced by his being able to play other positions but that he would play only second at Memphis. “Obviously, the key is what he does at the plate,” said Mozeliak. “It’s more important to get going offensively.”

R27 wrote:I think Wong playing some center field would be good for him too. He needs some versatility like Carpenter added after the 2011 season ......

It seems to me the Cards could save a ton of money, assuming R27 would take the GM job for far less than Mo.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:01 pm

I likely would. I've been suggest Wong pick up and outfielder's glove for a couple years now at least. Would have last winter even harder if I knew Wong had actually played it in college because we were so thin in CF with just Pham and Grichuk.

I hope Wong specifically asked for this. I see it as his way back to the Majors. Carpenter at 2B, Peralta at 3B, Grichuk to LF, and Wong in CF next year? I can see it.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:05 pm

He still has to hit.

To that end, I'm starting to fear Grichuk has developed terminal Allencraigitis.

(It took a few years, but that dang Def turned out right about Craig)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Craig has hit well this season in AAA... when he's managed to not be on the disabled list. Having oblique problems. And still raking.

It's very possible that Grichuk is the right handed Rick Ankiel. But I think he just needs to reset and go back to what he was doing last year, mix in some of the pitch recognition he's worked on, and let what happens happen. The power got him to the big leagues, kept him here, and got him a starting spot. If becoming an on base guy costs you the power, it's not worth it.

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”