2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 2022
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby R27 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:02 am

Here are the four free agent deals signed by left handed starting pitchers last winter:
  • LHP Brett Anderson, 28, made 30+ MLB starts twice in 7 seasons, 37-41, 3.72 career ERA, signed a 1 year, $15.8 million deal last winter.
  • LHP Scott Kazmir, 31, missed essentially all of 2011 and 2012 with injury mostly healthy since, 98-90, 3.96 career ERA, signed a 3 year, $48 million deal last winter.
  • LHP J.A. Happ, 32, hadn't thrown a sub-4 ERA season since 2011 until he put together 11 ridiculous starts for Pittsburgh last year, 62-61, 4.13 ERA, signed a 3 year, $36 million deal.
  • LHP Rich Hill, 35, started 4 games before being injured in 2015, hadn't started regularly since 2009, signed a 1 year, $6 million.

The average AAV for those four pitchers is $12.7 million. So at $12 million, Garcia's still a good value. I think something similar to Happ's deal should be a slam dunk for Garcia to get in free agency. I pick up his option and shop him, but I'm perfectly content to have him back in my rotation next year if nothing comes along.

There's some tough roster decisions to be made this winter. Should be interesting.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Putzville, Texas

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:18 am

I pay him his buyout & let Garcia walk.

I evaluate whether to let Moss walk or make him a qualifying offer & hope he walks.

I exercise Holliday's option.
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 2022
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby R27 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:50 am

Right now, as I see it, my offseason plan if I'm Mozeliak.

On offense, I let Holliday go, I let Moss go, I let Adams go, and I take a bag of baseballs from whoever wants Peralta. I go trade for Wil Myers, who will play LF for St. Louis. My starters are then C Molina, 1B Carpenter, 2B Wong, SS Diaz, 3B Gyorko, LF Myers, CF Grichuk, RF Piscotty. Ideally, I find a guy who can play 2B/3B in free agency and can step in as starter if Wong or Gyorko struggles, a Kelly Johnson/Aaron Hill type player. But my eye is also potentially on Paul DeJong (.260, 22 HR in AA last year) to get an opportunity at third if that happens and there's a spot for Harrison Bader to get some opportunities in the outfield late next season too.

In the rotation, I trade Garcia and Wacha. Rotation for next year is Martinez, Wainwright, Leake, Reyes, and an open competition for the fifth spot between Weaver, Lyons, Gonzales, Cooney, and whoever else wants to throw their hat in the ring.

In the bullpen, I think we have enough talent there. I start Lynn in the bullpen and work towards building him up into a role like Reyes started in in the second half. Available to go 4+ innings out of the bullpen and take over in the rotation late in the year if he needs to step in since Reyes will have workload limits. He'll be ready to pitch in March, but it's doubtful he'll have his velocity back much before August anyway. So the pen is Oh, Siegrist, Bowman, Maness, Lynn, Rosenthal, and likely a couple guys who fail to win the fifth starter job.

It's bold, but it cleans up the clutter we've had on the roster, creates opportunities, and doesn't eliminate meaningful depth.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 1303
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:04 am
Location: Troy

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby mhardy_03 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:06 pm

R27 wrote:Right now, as I see it, my offseason plan if I'm Mozeliak.

On offense, I let Holliday go, I let Moss go, I let Adams go, and I take a bag of baseballs from whoever wants Peralta. I go trade for Wil Myers, who will play LF for St. Louis. My starters are then C Molina, 1B Carpenter, 2B Wong, SS Diaz, 3B Gyorko, LF Myers, CF Grichuk, RF Piscotty. Ideally, I find a guy who can play 2B/3B in free agency and can step in as starter if Wong or Gyorko struggles, a Kelly Johnson/Aaron Hill type player. But my eye is also potentially on Paul DeJong (.260, 22 HR in AA last year) to get an opportunity at third if that happens and there's a spot for Harrison Bader to get some opportunities in the outfield late next season too.

In the rotation, I trade Garcia and Wacha. Rotation for next year is Martinez, Wainwright, Leake, Reyes, and an open competition for the fifth spot between Weaver, Lyons, Gonzales, Cooney, and whoever else wants to throw their hat in the ring.

In the bullpen, I think we have enough talent there. I start Lynn in the bullpen and work towards building him up into a role like Reyes started in in the second half. Available to go 4+ innings out of the bullpen and take over in the rotation late in the year if he needs to step in since Reyes will have workload limits. He'll be ready to pitch in March, but it's doubtful he'll have his velocity back much before August anyway. So the pen is Oh, Siegrist, Bowman, Maness, Lynn, Rosenthal, and likely a couple guys who fail to win the fifth starter job.

It's bold, but it cleans up the clutter we've had on the roster, creates opportunities, and doesn't eliminate meaningful depth.

I would include Adams in the trade for Myers and I would offer a QO to Moss even with his struggles lately. Outside of that, I'm on board with all these moves and was thinking that this offseason needs to have some sort of big move like that because it makes a whole lot of sense.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2114):
78 seasons, 7790-4690 (.624), 69 Playoff Apps, 47 Division Titles, 31 League Titles
10 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104)
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Putzville, Texas

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:52 pm

My guess is they'll keep Holliday & Adams.

Maybe not. I'm leaning towards a loyalty/appreciation factor with Holliday. But they traded fan-favorite Jimmy Baseball just 2 months after Jockety was fired so maybe there's no factor at all.

On Adams - he's our only true 1Bman & by far the best defensively. Carp has no natural fluidity or nuance there & Moss is not as good as Adams. IF they don't keep Holliday then either Carp is your everyday 1Bman or there's a spot for Adams.
User avatar
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 1303
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:04 am
Location: Troy

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby mhardy_03 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:03 pm

R27 wrote:Right now, as I see it, my offseason plan if I'm Mozeliak.

On offense, I let Holliday go, I let Moss go, I let Adams go, and I take a bag of baseballs from whoever wants Peralta. I go trade for Wil Myers, who will play LF for St. Louis. My starters are then C Molina, 1B Carpenter, 2B Wong, SS Diaz, 3B Gyorko, LF Myers, CF Grichuk, RF Piscotty. Ideally, I find a guy who can play 2B/3B in free agency and can step in as starter if Wong or Gyorko struggles, a Kelly Johnson/Aaron Hill type player. But my eye is also potentially on Paul DeJong (.260, 22 HR in AA last year) to get an opportunity at third if that happens and there's a spot for Harrison Bader to get some opportunities in the outfield late next season too.

In the rotation, I trade Garcia and Wacha. Rotation for next year is Martinez, Wainwright, Leake, Reyes, and an open competition for the fifth spot between Weaver, Lyons, Gonzales, Cooney, and whoever else wants to throw their hat in the ring.

In the bullpen, I think we have enough talent there. I start Lynn in the bullpen and work towards building him up into a role like Reyes started in in the second half. Available to go 4+ innings out of the bullpen and take over in the rotation late in the year if he needs to step in since Reyes will have workload limits. He'll be ready to pitch in March, but it's doubtful he'll have his velocity back much before August anyway. So the pen is Oh, Siegrist, Bowman, Maness, Lynn, Rosenthal, and likely a couple guys who fail to win the fifth starter job.

It's bold, but it cleans up the clutter we've had on the roster, creates opportunities, and doesn't eliminate meaningful depth.

I would include Adams in the trade for Myers and I would offer a QO to Moss even with his struggles lately. Outside of that, I'm on board with all these moves and was thinking that this offseason needs to have some sort of big move like that because it makes a whole lot of sense.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2114):
78 seasons, 7790-4690 (.624), 69 Playoff Apps, 47 Division Titles, 31 League Titles
10 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104)
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 2022
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby R27 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:17 pm

chevyman58 wrote:Maybe not. I'm leaning towards a loyalty/appreciation factor with Holliday. But they traded fan-favorite Jimmy Baseball just 2 months after Jockety was fired so maybe there's no factor at all.

I was just thinking that there are a lot of similarities from Mozeliak's first winter as GM to this one.

In 2006 they won the World Series. In 2015 they had the best record in baseball.
In 2007 they struggled due to injuries and veterans underperforming. In 2016 they struggled due to injuries and players underperforming.
In 2007 they missed the playoffs. In 2016 it remains to be seen.
After 2007 there were questions about the viability of the team's older players. After 2016 there will be questions about the viability of the team's older players.

And essentially Mozeliak's first acts as GM were to trade Jim Edmonds and then Scott Rolen.

The man can make the tough decisions. And I hope he does. Every decision this winter needs to be made towards uncomplicating the roster and creating the potential for opportunities for younger players.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 1303
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:04 am
Location: Troy

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby mhardy_03 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:27 pm

R27 wrote:
chevyman58 wrote:Maybe not. I'm leaning towards a loyalty/appreciation factor with Holliday. But they traded fan-favorite Jimmy Baseball just 2 months after Jockety was fired so maybe there's no factor at all.

I was just thinking that there are a lot of similarities from Mozeliak's first winter as GM to this one.

In 2006 they won the World Series. In 2015 they had the best record in baseball.
In 2007 they struggled due to injuries and veterans underperforming. In 2016 they struggled due to injuries and players underperforming.
In 2007 they missed the playoffs. In 2016 it remains to be seen.
After 2007 there were questions about the viability of the team's older players. After 2016 there will be questions about the viability of the team's older players.

And essentially Mozeliak's first acts as GM were to trade Jim Edmonds and then Scott Rolen.

The man can make the tough decisions. And I hope he does. Every decision this winter needs to be made towards uncomplicating the roster and creating the potential for opportunities for younger players.

I just hope that 2017 doesn't turn out like 2008 did. And hopefully they can play 6 good games of baseball and at least get a shot at the playoffs this year.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2114):
78 seasons, 7790-4690 (.624), 69 Playoff Apps, 47 Division Titles, 31 League Titles
10 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104)
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Putzville, Texas

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:33 pm

Somehow ya gotta invigorate the slowest lineup core we've ever (?) seen. Look at these lineups the last week or two. And realize that even our couple of faster guys at the top & bottom aren't really speedsters.

It's amazing how slow 2/3 of the lineup is all in-a-row.

Heyward got slammed for being honest, but his aging roster core was accurate. Thank God we didn't sign him, he's been awful. That contract may end up being far, far worse than Soriano's.
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 2022
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby R27 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:50 pm

mhardy_03 wrote:I just hope that 2017 doesn't turn out like 2008 did. And hopefully they can play 6 good games of baseball and at least get a shot at the playoffs this year.

The Cardinals won 86 games in 2008 with Carpenter making just 3 starts and Wainwright making just 20. They were replaced in the rotation by Brad Thompson (5+ ERA), Mitchell Boggs (7+ ERA) and Joel Piniero (5+ ERA). And they still won 86 games! (That's something this year's team might not even do)

The organization is in a much more solid place now as far as guys ready to step up into those roles than where we were that season. I've often said that if the organization had had the minor league system it has now back in 2007 and 2008, we're easily playoff teams. And ultimately, I think seeing that in 2007 was a leading factor in DeWitt deciding he needed to go all in on the change in business approach and ultimately Jocketty's departure.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Putzville, Texas

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:14 pm

R27 wrote: The Cardinals won 86 games in 2008 with Carpenter making just 3 starts and Wainwright making just 20. They were replaced in the rotation by Brad Thompson (5+ ERA), Mitchell Boggs (7+ ERA) and Joel Piniero (5+ ERA). And they still won 86 games! (That's something this year's team might not even do)

The organization is in a much more solid place now as far as guys ready to step up into those roles than where we were that season. I've often said that if the organization had had the minor league system it has now back in 2007 and 2008, we're easily playoff teams. And ultimately, I think seeing that in 2007 was a leading factor in DeWitt deciding he needed to go all in on the change in business approach and ultimately Jocketty's departure.


Cubs won 97, Brewers 90, & Astros 86. So Central was stronger then. Roster was a patchwork mess.

So ............. that brings us to The Manager.

Somewhere we're missing a spark.
User avatar
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:41 am

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby marteezy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:53 pm

The last time I watched this little Cardinal baseball, I was deployed in the Middle East. This years team has been unwatchable. The defense has been atrocious. The pitching hasn't been much better.

With limited options available via free agency, the chances of making a big trade are reduced unless you want to get fleeced.

I think the teams immediate best option to get better is to get a new manager. Matheny has failed in a big way this year.
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 2022
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby R27 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:15 pm

chevyman58 wrote:Somewhere we're missing a spark.

That's really it more than anything I feel. But I don't think Mozeliak is ever going to acquire that kind of player. Martinez has a bit of a spark. As he becomes positioned to be a leader on the team we could see it. But I think most of our guys are going to have that ability to light a spark drilled out of them through the minors.

I've talked a lot about Chris Sale. Mozeliak did give an interview in early August about the trade deadline and he seemed to know an awful lot about Chris Sale's contract. Take that for what you will, but it could be something to watch this winter.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Putzville, Texas

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:49 pm

R27 wrote:
chevyman58 wrote:Somewhere we're missing a spark.

That's really it more than anything I feel. But I don't think Mozeliak is ever going to acquire that kind of player. Martinez has a bit of a spark. As he becomes positioned to be a leader on the team we could see it. But I think most of our guys are going to have that ability to light a spark drilled out of them through the minors.

I've talked a lot about Chris Sale. Mozeliak did give an interview in early August about the trade deadline and he seemed to know an awful lot about Chris Sale's contract. Take that for what you will, but it could be something to watch this winter.


I was hinting at the Manager, not player(s).
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Putzville, Texas

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:01 am

WHO is gonna take the ball on Saturday - we can't give it to Garcia or Weaver or Wacha can we?

Wed vs Reds - Mike Leake
Thurs vs Reds - Alex Reyes
Fri vs Pirates - CMart
Sat vs Pirates - ????
Sun vs Pirates - Waino

Mon play-in game - Mike Leake
Tues play-in game - Alex Reyes
Wed Wild Card Game - CMart

Friday - NLDS Game 1 @ Cubs - ????

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest