2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: 2016 "Be the GM" Season Thread

Postby R27 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:37 pm

Somewhere between what we had this year and the burying of guys from two years ago is what's needed. I think we've seen both extremes from Matheny so far. Just has to figure out where that line is.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
BrewCards
Prospect
Prospect

Postby BrewCards » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 am

chevyman58 wrote:I haven't seen a defensive problem with Diaz since he settled-in the 1st couple months.

Maybe his errors are down, but his fundamentals are as horrible as ever. Just the other day I saw a side armed-flat footed throw that as soon as it left his hand, I said "There is an error." It wasn't, but it's the same thing that I've been trying to get my little leaguers to stop doing.

Diaz is by no means untouchable to me.I'm not necessarily looking to move him, but in the right offer I would.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:07 am

My in-house measuring standards are pretty low. He's a better SS than any other option we've had.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:30 am

BrewCards wrote:
chevyman58 wrote:I haven't seen a defensive problem with Diaz since he settled-in the 1st couple months.
Maybe his errors are down, but his fundamentals are as horrible as ever. Just the other day I saw a side armed-flat footed throw that as soon as it left his hand, I said "There is an error." It wasn't, but it's the same thing that I've been trying to get my little leaguers to stop doing.

Diaz is by no means untouchable to me.I'm not necessarily looking to move him, but in the right offer I would.

Someone better be giving the farm for Diaz. Among players with 400+ PAs, Diaz has the 21st highest OPS+. Second among shortstops.

His throwing generally seems to be the issue, so I think you'd move him to second if you moved him. He'd still be the 5th best second baseman offensively.

Ultimately, defensively for me, it's not that bad. He will cut down on the errors as he gets comfortable, we've seen that happen. But I still don't feel like he has enough range to play short. Even Eckstein had more range.

As far as untouchables, Molina and Martinez are probably my only two. Everyone else could be had for a price.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:14 am

Interesting 'on-point with us' STLPD article this morning about blowing-up the roster. Several comments from DeWitt:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 33952.html
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:27 am

chevyman58 wrote:Interesting 'on-point with us' STLPD article this morning about blowing-up the roster. Several comments from DeWitt:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 33952.html

Don't agree with a complete rebuild as there really is no need for that IMO. The team really is not all that far from being a solid 90 win team again. And with how unpredictable baseball can be, who knows what will happen with the Cubs. They look great on paper for the next 5 seasons. But the Cards looked pretty good on paper coming into this year and look what happened. Why can't injuries and/or a downturn in production hit the Cubs also and open the door back up? To me, they need to clean house of some of the older guys, but they should target guys who will help the team and fill a couple holes the current team has. They don't need to do some full rebuild and tank to get top picks to have a chance at the Cubs.

Edit: I may have read that article wrong, but I'll leave my thoughts there anyway.
Last edited by mhardy_03 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2115):
80 seasons, 8007-4793 (.626), 71 Playoff Apps, 49 Division Titles, 33 League Titles
11 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104, 2115)
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:31 am

It doesn't sound like they are in rebuild mode at all. From the article:

Even while the Cubs cruise to the division series, DeWitt appears optimistic about the strength of his organization after a trip with Mozeliak to the team’s spring training complex in Jupiter, Fla.

“‘Mo’ and I and the baseball ops folks were down in Jupiter and we had a rundown from our minor-league managers and our minor-league system personnel down there,” DeWitt said. “I feel really good about the depth that we have in our farm system.

“We also do have a lot of good young players at the major-league level. It’s our job to continue to build good major-league clubs and not get in position where we’re in a massive rebuilding mode. That’s not a path we want to take.”
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:20 pm

A complete rebuild is not required. But I would tell everyone not named Molina, Wainwright, Reyes, Martinez or Diaz that they shouldn't get too comfortable this offseason.

There is more than enough talent on this roster to be competitive in the division and the league. The balance of the team was off terribly this year and from the outside looking in, this team looked to lack the chemistry that we've seen in recent Cardinal teams.

I think one of the problems has been a lack of commitment on the part of Matheny to letting guys like Wong and Grichuk play through adversity. He only stuck with Diaz because Diaz wouldn't stop hitting. Matheny has got to let these guys play and learn how to come out of slumps. They are talented players, but they are also human. And if you are worried about your job security, it's pretty hard to focus on the things that you should be focusing on.

Mo and DeWitt need to be bold this offseason. If there is a move to be made that can improve the team they need to pull the trigger. Using the allure of playing in St. Louis is no longer enough. They are going to have to go big on someone at this point.

This year free agency class doesn't have any big stars. But I'd like to see them pursue and hopefully add an arm like Cashner to the rotation. Or even a veteran like Neil Walker if you don't think you can move forward with Wong.

There are shakeups that can be made without doing a total Astros/Cubs style remodel, the organization just has to commit to doing it and the manager has to be committed to running an everyday eight out there instead of an everyday three and five some of the times.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:52 pm

Not to start an argument MT ........... but you'be been telling us for ten years you had absolutely zero belief in any value of "chemistry".

Have we all finally convinced you otherwise? That's great, if so.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:10 pm

chevyman58 wrote:Not to start an argument MT ........... but you'be been telling us for ten years you had absolutely zero belief in any value of "chemistry".

Hey if you can't evolve what's the point. After watching this team, I am now a believer in chemistry.

Over the last 10-15 years or so, I'd probably watch 120 Cardinal games per year. This year I haven't watched one from start to finish since the end of May.

It's been a strain to watch this team waltz through games.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:13 pm

marteezy wrote:
chevyman58 wrote:Not to start an argument MT ........... but you'be been telling us for ten years you had absolutely zero belief in any value of "chemistry".

Hey if you can't evolve what's the point. After watching this team, I am now a believer in chemistry.

Over the last 10-15 years or so, I'd probably watch 120 Cardinal games per year. This year I haven't watched one from start to finish since the end of May.

It's been a strain to watch this team waltz through games.

That's how I've been too. I used to watch at least 40% of them start to finish and have it on in the background pretty much every other night. This year I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched one start to finish. Or hell, even watched more than a few innings. Has been a really tough team to watch.

And heck, I used to go to 20+ games back in college when I really couldn't afford to do that (used to save on alcohol by bringing premium drinks in though :lol: ). This year I've only gone when I have had free tickets.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2115):
80 seasons, 8007-4793 (.626), 71 Playoff Apps, 49 Division Titles, 33 League Titles
11 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104, 2115)
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:05 pm

Wow, I'm glad it's not just me! It would be one thing if they were a bad team that played with a lot of effort. But this team isn't a bad team and they don't appear to play with a lot of effort.

The combination of underachieving and lack of effort makes it very hard to justify three hours an evening.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:14 pm

It's not just you, MT, or you, hardy. They're just not the typical Cardinals team we're used to watching. A frustrating bunch. George Kissel is turning in his grave with these guys underperforming and not doing it the "Cardinal Way".... 8-)
EOCF
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby EOCF » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:43 pm

Dang guys. You're aware that the club doesn't really try to hit until the 7th or later, right? You're missing most of the good stuff ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
CSFBL: New York River Pirates: (2037-2114)
40 Playoff appearances, 19 Division titles, 8 League titles
2053, 2057, 2058, 2074, 2090 & 2113 World Champions
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:49 pm

I think it's probably the most talented team that Mozeliak has given Matheny, but it just doesn't fit together.

I hope Mo makes the tough decisions, commits to the young guys and shores up the defense. Then Matheny busts everyone's butts in spring training rather than the whole "take it easy" routine they did this year that can be afforded after you win 100 games.

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”