The Future Of Jose Oquendo

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: No wonder 5 Errors yesterday - Oquendo is on DL!

Postby R27 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:08 pm

Tulcard wrote:We also have relied on superior pitching to win. This is how the club has been constructed.

We also don't have the Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen, etc. hitters who can jack the ball. Holliday is not a HR hitter per se. Maybe Grichuk will develop into this type of hitter, but we really don't have the true power hitter(s) in the lineup anymore.... 8-)

Definitely have built around pitching. That's been the way to do it because pitching talent has historically cost more than hitting talent. Truly quality hitters have become very scarce. It's why everyone drools over the Cubs.

The Cardinals have some good outlook. I hope (and believe) Grichuk can turn into the HR hitter everyone thinks he can be. Putting out the high 20s in home runs. Adams could do the same thing if he ever put it together. Sprinkle in Piscotty's 13-15 home runs and Carpenter's 20ish, and you've got a great power core. It'd be nice if it happened.
@JonDoble - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:46 am

Our offense has been a problem and from what I've seen this spring will continue to be a problem. I don't think we need to look at advanced metrics to recognize this. With their clear lack of power, this team has to work much harder than others to score one run.

Looking at the prime pieces of our lineup, the potential is there for a much improved offense. If Grichuk can stay healthy, if Piscotty continues to develop and I'd Carps power display from last year, we can expect to see an improved offense.

But I'm still very concerned about Holliday, Tejada and the ability of the above mentioned three to build on last year.

The first month of the season is going to be very interesting. Hopefully the pitching holds up because we are going to need them.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:23 am

I'm not concerned about Holliday's production if he stays healthy. Like I've said and we all know, Holliday is not a true power hitter as a McGwire, Bonds, Pujols, etc., are. Yet, if he still drives in 90-100 runs and keeps his average respectable his production is there. He'll still get his 15/20 Hr's.

So, we potentially have Carpenter, Piscotty, Adams/Moss combo, Holliday capable of hitting 15/20 Hr's. Wong at around 12-15. Grichuk at 20-30. Hopefully Peralta healthy for the balance of the season upon his return can provide power. So we should, on paper at least, have increased power numbers.

Bottom line to me is the Team BA & RBI's which translates to RISP and runs scored. Pitching should remain a strong point and hopefully all will remain healthy.... 8-)
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:28 am

Tulcard wrote:I'm not concerned about Holliday's production if he stays healthy. Like I've said and we all know, Holliday is not a true power hitter as a McGwire, Bonds, Pujols, etc., are. Yet, if he still drives in 90-100 runs and keeps his average respectable his production is there. He'll still get his 15/20 Hr's.

So, we potentially have Carpenter, Piscotty, Adams/Moss combo, Holliday capable of hitting 15/20 Hr's. Wong at around 12-15. Grichuk at 20-30. Hopefully Peralta healthy for the balance of the season upon his return can provide power. So we should, on paper at least, have increased power numbers.

Bottom line to me is the Team BA & RBI's which translates to RISP and runs scored. Pitching should remain a strong point and hopefully all will remain healthy.... 8-)

After last year I only hope most will remain healthy! That's my biggest concern with the team this year to be honest. I think if they are healthy, they will be fine. If injuries hit again even close to how they did last year, I don't see them overcoming them again.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2112):
76 seasons, 7588-4572 (.624), 67 Playoff Apps, 45 Division Titles, 29 League Titles
10 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104)
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:16 pm

This past week, during player development meetings in Jupiter, Fla., general manager John Mozeliak met with coach Jose Oquendo to discuss his role with the team, and while nothing was finalized about the future, the present was determined.

Oquendo will work with some of the Cardinals’ best prospects during instructional league play, Mozeliak said.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 74970.html

Hopefully this means Oquendo will be back with the Big Club next year.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: The Future Of Jose Oquendo

Postby R27 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:16 pm

It sounds like Mozeliak would like to have Oquendo back with the big league club, I just don't think Oquendo wants to do that anymore, given what he said this spring. I think a situation like he's doing now with prospects during instructional league and the team during spring training is the future for him.

I do think that we've learned this year that third base coach is not Maloney's strong suit. He needs another role or to just be replaced, IMO.
@JonDoble - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”