2016 Cardinals News Thread

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
Razz
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Re: 2016 Cardinals News Thread

Postby Razz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:58 pm

chevyman58 wrote:A St. Louis man pleaded guilty Tuesday to shooting a Cardinals fan after a baseball game last year, leaving the man paralyzed.

Kilwa Jones, 32, pleaded guilty Tuesday to five charges for shooting Christopher Sanna and robbing Sanna's girlfriend as they walked to their car in September on the grounds of the Gateway Arch in downtown St. Louis. Jones faces 25 to 35 years in prison and/or fines up to $250,000 on each charge when he is sentenced Oct. 6.

Court documents indicate Jones confronted the couple and when they tried to ignore him and walk away, Jones shot Sanna in the back. He took the girlfriend's purse and rifled through Sanna's pants pockets as he lay on the ground, police said. Surveillance video showed Jones using Sanna's debit card after the robbery.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... yptr=yahoo

Not really sure how to even comment on this. How can someone have such a lack of respect for human life to shoot someone in the back and then pick the persons pockets as he lies there dying. I can't even fathom how a mind of a person like that works. Better stop now before I go into a rant. Hope Mr. Sanna is doing well, considering what he's been through.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Jhonny Peralta has been placed on the 15 day DL. Michael McKenry has been DFA'd.

Jeremy Hazelbaker and Miguel Socolovich have been recalled from Memphis.

Cardinals now carrying 13 pitchers.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm sorry to be a year-after-year Peralta critic but ........... counting on any substantive contributions from Jhonny thru the rest of his contract, which runs thru next season, is a big mistake. IMO his best days are long gone.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:17 pm

Peralta is slated to make $10M next year. I think he'd be a solid super sub capable of playing all over the infield and LF if necessary. While $10M is still a lot of money to pay a role player, I believe they factored some decline when they agreed to the deal.

Additionally, it took Molina a year to come back completely from the same type of hand injury.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:56 pm

marteezy wrote:Peralta is slated to make $10M next year. I think he'd be a solid super sub capable of playing all over the infield and LF if necessary. While $10M is still a lot of money to pay a role player, I believe they factored some decline when they agreed to the deal.

Additionally, it took Molina a year to come back completely from the same type of hand injury.

Took him a winter. He injured it last September, right?

But the official story is that Peralta injured the same thumb, but it's not the same injury. *shrugs*

I think Peralta might be in the Brandon Moss role next season. Play some short, third, first, and left field. Or trade him. That would work for me too.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Peralta has had the absolute worst range in MLB at SS for quite some time. He's the slowest guy on the team after Molina, I think Adams smokes him in a 60-yd dash. Unless you want him playing LF sitting in a lawn chair I'd not pencil him in out there fellas.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:53 pm

chevyman58 wrote:Peralta has had the absolute worst range in MLB at SS for quite some time. He's the slowest guy on the team after Molina, I think Adams smokes him in a 60-yd dash. Unless you want him playing LF sitting in a lawn chair I'd not pencil him in out there fellas.

Because Matt Holliday and Mark Reynolds are such defensive studs. :lol: Heck, even Wigginton played a bit out there when he was a Cardinal.

I'm sure you can hide Peralta there just fine. Lightning quick reflexes are not a necessity.

He only played 19 innings in LF with the Tigers, but he did have a plus range.

marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:46 pm

I don't think I'd trade him. He would be an excellent Moss replacement with more versatility at a pretty reasonable price. If that thumb gets right, you know you can pencil him in for 10+ homers.

His contract doesn't strap the team. So I really don't see any downside in keeping him around.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:14 am

Let him get his thumb healed and he will contribute. Doubt the Cardinals re-sign him, but also doubt he'll be traded. Is playing a good 3B from what I can see. A streaky hitter we need if he can come back & get hot for a stretch run.... 8-)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Apparently 101 ESPN is reporting that Trevor Rosenthal may start Sunday night against the Dodgers.

It requires a spot start because of the double header this week. But that's just about the nuttiest thing I've ever heard when you've got Tyler Lyons and Matthew Bowman in your bullpen.

cardinalfan4life
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby cardinalfan4life » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:57 pm

so...how high are the cardinals if your wanting trevor against any team? he cant get through 1 inning without allowing a run...much less 5..6...or 7

HORIABLE JOB IF YOU DO THIS! Roise is DONE as a Pitcher...if...for some reason you hate the options on NML roster...anybody here heard of Alex Reyes? he's only a phone call away
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:18 pm

Reyes has a 6.32 ERA and 1.65 WHIP over his last 8 starts with Memphis. He has had one good start in that span. The rest have been either too short or too bad. He's averaged less than 5 innings an outing. Just say no. He's not ready.

If you want a minor leaguer, the right answer is Luke Weaver. 1.31 ERA, 1.08 WHIP in 9 starts in Springfield. His success has been remarkable considering he left a pitcher friendly Roger Dean Stadium to a more hitter friendly Hammons Field and got better.

But not sure you want to start the clock on either guy right now.

Mike Mayers could be another option. Mozeliak talked about that he was pitching well enough to push for an opportunity. 3.29 ERA over 18 starts between Memphis and Springfield. He bounced between the two in May, but he has a 3.09 ERA since the beginning of June when he returned to Memphis to stay.

None of these guys have a 40 man spot, which is the hardest part to balance. The short list of 40 man guys to start a game would be Lyons and Bowman in my opinion. But Rosenthal, while crazy, is not a straight up horrible idea.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Just a reminder ............... Rosenthal has ALWAYS said he's a starter. And that he preferred to stay a starter and have a career as a starter. His agent said it as well. In fact, it was a bit of a running story the 1st 2 years he was asked to close. Just sayin' .............
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:00 pm

If Rosenthal wants to start let him get stretched out in Memphis. Starting him at this level is ludicrous. Perhaps he should get his act together and get back to what he does best.... 8-)
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Sometimes ludicrous works.

(See Republican Primary)

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”