Time To Accept Waino's Best Days Are Over

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Time To Accept Waino's Best Days Are Over

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:49 pm

ERA back up to near 5.00

No spring chicken.

Can't get swing & misses or consistent outs with anything hard anymore.

Reliant on feel 'n finesses pitches now, junkball city.

Can't get thru 1st two innings unscathed with alarming frequency.

Walks are up, pitch-counts sky-high, can't go deep with any regularity.

Season-long trend with a decent period in the middle.

Just 5 days after allowing six runs before he recorded his sixth out, allowed seven in first 6 outs today.

THOUGHTS?
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: Time To Accept Waino's Best Days Are Over

Postby R27 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:52 pm

I think he's got plenty of good baseball left in him for two reasons. 1) He didn't throw his typical 200-250 innings last year, so to a large extent his body's relearning and reconditioning to doing that. 2) He talked earlier in the season about that he lost a bunch of strength in his lower body because of the Achilles injury. You're not going to get all that back in a couple months no matter how hard you work.

I expect he'll be back to the Waino we all know and love next year, but it's a big blow that he can't even be average this year.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:34 am

I think his best days are behind him. He may have a couple starts where he looks like the former Chicago you g candidate, but it's a stretch to expect him to pitch like he did in the past.

Father Time is undefeated.
cardinalfan4life
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby cardinalfan4life » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:04 am

Babe Ruth...eventully faded into glory
Joe Medwick faded
Stan Musial faded
Joe Dimaggo faded
Ted Williams faded
Mickey Mantle...faded
Bob Gibson...faded
Hank Aaron faded

to shorten the list up...John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux Derek Jeter and Mariano Riverra faded...father time waits for nobody, Waino has been a terrific Cardinal, great teammate and a ACE through my 20s....but...hes now what 35..36? in baseball that's like a 50 year old man, pretty soon we'll be talking about Yadi fading...not as good as a arm he once had..this will happen. Id want Waino or Carp on my pitcing staff as a Pitching Coach.

Maybe Waino needs to go to the bullpen ala John Smoltz? we need a Closer...again. We need to find some way to keep him aeround as long as we can.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:54 pm

With Lynn back next year, Leake, Martinez, Weaver and Reyes lined up for spots in the, looking at Waino in the back of the pen may be the best bet to make the salary he's earning worthwhile.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:00 pm

marteezy wrote:With Lynn back next year, Leake, Martinez, Weaver and Reyes lined up for spots in the, looking at Waino in the back of the pen may be the best bet to make the salary he's earning worthwhile.

Except we all know what Wainwright and Motte did in their first year back from Tommy John and it took them both until mid to late season to find both the feel and the velocity. And for a guy that depends on spotting his fastball like Lynn, asking him to start next season is going to be a shooting gallery, IMO. I'm hoping the organization approaches his return like the Braves did with Medlen a few years back. Start him in the bullpen and let him rebuild that strength and look at moving him back into the rotation if an opportunity arises.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:05 pm

After two early shellings in-a-row Waino's just 1 more beatdown away from a trip to the DL with the ol' reliable "shoulder inflammation".
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:31 pm

There's good chance Lynn will be back in St. Louis in September pitching out of the bullpen. If that's the case, it's reasonable to assume that he can log some innings this year to work out kinks and go into the offseason ready to do his normal offseason routine and come back ready to perform and close to normal.
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Topps » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:51 pm

I don't know that Lynn can come back that close to normal. I mean Waino pitched at the end of last season too, and he wasn't anything close to normal to start this season. Different injuries I know but they both had incredibly long layoffs due to them.

Granted getting back to pitching this season couldn't hurt his progress in returning to form next season.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Wainwright also didn't get any minor league rehab time. He was dumped right into it. Lynn could have a month of rehab time before being called up. Enough time for him to get some feel and the organization to see if he can contribute.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 am

I'm of the opinion Waino is our 4th starter at this point. If he doesn't get better quick he'll kill us in October.

CMart's my Ace. After that it's a coin-toss. We need Reyes to emerge & Skyweaver to keep building success.

And problem with Waino in the pen is it's the early inning(s) where he gets pounded. When your only swing-'n-miss pitch is the one that needs the most 'feel' makes gettin' thru the early hitters really tough.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:38 pm

I dunno. If he continues to get shelled I would think conversations would be forthcoming. We'll see how Reyes looks tonight. I'm not that high on Leake or Garcia at this point, but we have who we have.

With September approaching in a few days and I'm not saying you have to have a lightening fast hook, but the games are too important to let someone put the team in a hole when they just don't have it. I'm talking mainly about the big three of Wainwright, Garcia and Leake....although it applies to anyone.... 8-)

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”