Official: 2016 Cardinals' Be The GM Thread

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Re: Official: 2016 Cardinals' Be The GM Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:19 am

mhardy_03 wrote:
EOCF wrote:Encarnacion is signing with the Indians for pretty much the deal that was described. Bummer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

:cry:

A source told MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez that the Indians have reached an agreement with Encarnacion on a three-year contract that includes a fourth-year option. The deal is worth $65 million guaranteed, which includes a $5 million buyout for the $25 million option for the 2020 season. The Indians have not confirmed the deal, which is pending a physical.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:07 am

EE would have been nice to have, but I'm not that disappointed we didn't get him. He wasn't really a great fit for this team.

He's easy to pay $60M if he's playing DH for 120 games a year, but a lot harder when he's playing 1B for 150 games.

But given what he's done the last three years at first base, he'd have probably been between -2.5 and -3.0 defensive WAR at first base over a season. Even if you're raking at the plate, that's still going to be difficult to make up.

Not chasing Justin Turner harder was a mistake.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:21 am

I'm really not disappointed either. There are several of these types of players available at the moment. If Mo would have wanted one he would have gone shopping for one. Tis the season. I'd much rather have a Goldschmidt type of first baseman. Always hoped Tony would do his ex-club a solid and trade him here, but alas....has not happened. True shocker.

Would have loved to have had Turner, but ok with starting the season with what we have....with an eye always open for ways to improve the club whether it be at 1B or 3B.... 8-)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:15 am

My column this week was about how Adams should be the team's everyday cleanup hitting first baseman. And really, IMO he can easily provide the same kind of offensive impact that Trumbo or Moss can.

The Cardinals don't have an exciting bat in the lineup, I think that's why most fans were enamored with EE. He would have given us that at least. It's the glaring hole of what Taveras was supposed to be to this lineup. He was supposed to be that exciting bat.

Figuring out how to deal with that is going to be the defining action of this decade, IMO. There is no once every couple decades offensive talent in our system anymore. The trade market for one would be insane. That leaves free agency if and guys worth that heavy investment don't often hit it. Which makes aggressive pursuit of one for a team without one ever increasingly important.

Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:29 am

You'd have to bench Peralta and switch Carpenter back to 3B, which they would have had to do anyway if they would have signed one of these guys. I'm ok with that part time. I still think Peralta is better defensively than Carp at 3B.

No, we don't have that booming bat in the lineup, but do we really need it? I don't think so. We have Diaz, Grichuk, Piscotty, Gyorko and Carpenter all capable of hitting 25 HR's or more and driving in runs. The most important thing offensively is getting on base and driving in runs. We have that ability and by signing Fowler it only enhances our opportunities.

However, offense aside, it is more important (or at the least just as important) to have dominant pitching and a solid pen. Keep your opponent from scoring and you will win games obviously. We should be solid in these areas as well IMO so....watch out Cubs. We're not going away.... 8-)
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:57 pm

We'll know this year, barring injury - knock on wood, if Diaz is the Real Deal or not.

I'm betting that he is.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:32 pm

Tulcard wrote:No, we don't have that booming bat in the lineup, but do we really need it? I don't think so. We have Diaz, Grichuk, Piscotty, Gyorko and Carpenter all capable of hitting 25 HR's or more and driving in runs. The most important thing offensively is getting on base and driving in runs. We have that ability and by signing Fowler it only enhances our opportunities.

I think we don't need it, but it'd sure be nice to have another fairly complete hitter capable of ripping 40 homers. Grichuk, Gyorko, and Carpenter are all capable of hitting 30+, but only one of them is a complete hitter.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:02 am

Tulcard wrote: Would have loved to have had Turner,

Justin Turner signed a four-year, $64 million deal yesterday to stay with the Dodgers for a $4 million signing bonus with a $12 million salary in 2017, $11 million in 2018, $18 million in 2019 and $20 million in 2020.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:12 am

chevyman58 wrote:
Tulcard wrote: Would have loved to have had Turner,

Justin Turner signed a four-year, $64 million deal yesterday to stay with the Dodgers for a $4 million signing bonus with a $12 million salary in 2017, $11 million in 2018, $18 million in 2019 and $20 million in 2020.

I think he was always going back to LA & was just testing the waters. Don't blame him at all. Kind of like the way we hope Lynn and Oh will feel next season.... 8-)
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:33 am

Who's your 5-man rotation?

Carlos Martinez
Adam Wainwright
Mike Leake
Michael Wacha
Alex Reyes
Lance Lynn
Marco Gonzales
Trevor Rosenthal
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:21 am

1. Carlos Martinez
2. Adam Wainwright
3. Mike Leake
4. Lance Lynn
5. Michael Wacha (to begin with)

Alex Reyes to Memphis on a 5 inning per start limit, aim to call him up into the rotation in May. Either to replace Wacha (unless he's pitching really well) or, as history shows us will likely happen, replace an injured starter.

That plan lets you hopefully save enough innings on Reyes to use him as needed down the stretch without becoming uncomfortable with the number of innings he's throwing.

Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 am

Either Wacha or Reyes pitch out of the pen along with Rosenthal IMO.
BrewCards
Prospect
Prospect

Postby BrewCards » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:18 am

A healthy Lynn and Wacha would be a huge boost to this team. I'm not sure either one will be fully back to what they were. Lynn will be about a year and a half from is surgery after the 2015 season, so I think he can be close. Although a lot of times we don't see those guys fully back until the season after their initial return. Wacha's shoulder still worries me.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:30 am

2017 opening roster:

PITCHERS (12)

(rotation)

Carlos Martinez, RHP

Adam Wainwright, RHP

Lance Lynn, RHP

Mike Leake, RHP