2016-17 Cardinals Offseason News

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Re: 2016-17 Cardinals Offseason News

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:56 pm

We don't necessarily disagree, differ slightly on the evaluation terminology & on points of reference.

The number I'm using to reference his performance is CHEV+, which is normalized for eyes and decades of expertise.
Elite1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Postby Elite1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:31 pm

R27 wrote:
mhardy_03 wrote:
chevyman58 wrote:While the exact phrase “best shape of his life” was not used, Brian Stull of WGNU 920AM in St. Louis reports that Adams lost 25 pounds during the offseason. Adams says his swing is “even stronger” and is excited for the 2017 season.

And then this. Although I don't think it makes much sense unless the Royals want to keep salary right where it is and the deal is Adams for Dyson. Even that I'm not sure would be all that great for the Cards.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/m ... oyals.html

My understanding of it all is that it became known that the Royals had talked about Adams prior to them acquiring a guy yesterday from the Diamondbacks instead of Adams. I don't think it's an active look anymore.

Adams losing a bunch of weight scares me. Every time a player has done that, whether it be Lynn or Molina, their performance has suffered right off the bat and it's taken them awhile to rebuild on top of their "new" body.

I believe Matt Carpenter used to be pretty heavy (240 lbs). Losing weight seemed to help him... Re: Adams, Back in 2013, Adams came to camp lighter, losing 15 lbs, due to a high protein/low carb diet...
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Elite1 wrote:I believe Matt Carpenter used to be pretty heavy (240 lbs). Losing weight seemed to help him... Re: Adams, Back in 2013, Adams came to camp lighter, losing 15 lbs, due to a high protein/low carb diet...

Yes, but Carpenter lost his weight in college if I recall.

And it's not so much that I think it's a bad thing, it just takes time for a player to not only lose weight, but rebuild and figure out how to make use of his new body. Long term, I think the results for the player will be positive. For the right now, I question the benefits. And for a guy that most view as being on borrowed time already, I question whether it was the right decision.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Cardinals agree to 1 year, $2.8 million deal with Matt Adams

Post Dispatch story.

Arbitration figure exchange happens tomorrow. That snuck up on me. So we'll probably have a series of deals here shortly to settle those cases before they reach a hearing in February.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:27 am

[quote="R27"
Yes, but Carpenter lost his weight in college if I recall.

Then, eight games into his junior season, and while hitting .185, Carpenter felt a sharp pain in his elbow. He needed Tommy John surgery.

"If I had played in one more game -- if I had one more at-bat -- I would not have qualified for a medical redshirt," he said. "I was so scared that I would never play again."

TCU coach Jim Schlossnagle called Carpenter into his office soon after Carpenter had the surgery.

"First he told me all the reasons why I had been the top recruit at TCU," Carpenter said, "and that while I had been a decent player, I had not been the player they expected. He was totally right. And then he said, 'You basically have only two choices now: you can just continue to be a decent player and get out of here and maybe become a high school or college coach, or you can get serious and let this be a wakeup call and get to work.

"I literally changed overnight."

Carpenter, who favored a junk-food diet of fast foods and sodas, hired a nutritionist and cleaned up his diet "cold turkey."

"I became super strict about what I ate. I went all-in," said Carpenter, who hasn't had a soda since and can't remember his last fast-food burger. While he leaned out, he devoted himself to strength training and "I ran every day." He cut about 40 pounds and came back for his redshirt season as that player TCU expected. He hit 22 home runs over his redshirt junior and senior seasons. The Cardinals drafted him in the 13th round in 2009. They offered him $1,000 to sign.

"It was basically, 'We'll give you a thousand dollars or you can go get a job somewhere,"' Carpenter said. "I took the thousand dollars. After taxes, it was about six hundred something."

http://www.si.com/mlb/2013/06/25/matt-c ... -cardinals
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:56 am

Big City is now a Suburb ........... in St Louis:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... b2d9c.html
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:59 am

Cardinals sign Rosenthal & Siegrist to 1 year deals. Leaves Martinez & Wacha unsigned:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1847 ... matt-adams
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:06 am

Rosenthal will earn $6.4 million in 2017

:o :shock: :o :shock: :o
cardinalfan4life
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby cardinalfan4life » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:51 pm

probbly the biggest waste of money on payroll^^
Chief Redbird
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Chief Redbird » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:00 pm

cardinalfan4life wrote:probbly the biggest waste of money on payroll^^

I agree!
Take Care,
Chief Redbird
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:08 am

For the first time in 17 years, the Cardinals intend to have an arbiter decide the salary of a player, and they will have two hearings in the coming month. General manager John Mozeliak said Sunday at the Winter Warm-Up that the team will let Michael Wacha and Carlos Martinez go to a hearing, and that the club has no intention on settling with the players before a hearing is held. Mozeliak made that clear.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 4d78b.html
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 pm

chevyman58 wrote:For the first time in 17 years, the Cardinals intend to have an arbiter decide the salary of a player, and they will have two hearings in the coming month. General manager John Mozeliak said Sunday at the Winter Warm-Up that the team will let Michael Wacha and Carlos Martinez go to a hearing, and that the club has no intention on settling with the players before a hearing is held. Mozeliak made that clear.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 4d78b.html

I get the point of it, but it's so dumb. Especially to do this with Martinez.

And for reference, Martinez is still asking for $1.3 million less than Rosenthal made last year at the same age in his first year of arbitration.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:35 am

Metallica to play Busch Stadium June 4

Nine-time Grammy Award-winning multiplatinum band Metallica will perform at Busch Stadium on Sunday, June 4. This marks their first return to St. Louis since playing at Scottrade Center in 2008.

Tickets go on sale Friday, February 17th at 10 a.m. CST.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Celebrate Pitchers & Catchers with $50 All-Inclusive Tickets!
Rejoice, Cardinals Nation - Spring Training is here! Pitchers and Catchers officially report today and we're celebrating the official return of #50 and his teammates with a special, two-day All-Inclusive Ticket sale. Purchase All-Inclusive tickets for Sunday games in 2017 for as low as $50! As a bonus, enjoy a holiday with the Cardinals with special pricing on the 4th of July too!

Choose from the following:
Legends Club
Homer's Landing
Powerade Bridge & Scott Credit Union MVP Deck
Don't wait! This offer only lasts through Wednesday. Get your tickets today!
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:10 am

Taking a player to salary arbitration for the first time since 1999, the Cardinals defeated righthander Michael Wacha, with a three-arbiter panel opting for the Cardinals’ salary offer of $2.8 million on Tuesday, rather than Wacha’s $3.2 million request. But Wacha suggested there would be few hard feelings.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... e2da2.html

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”