Cardinals Extend Molina Through 2020!

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
cardinalfan4life
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Re: Cardinals Extend Molina Through 2020!

Postby cardinalfan4life » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:49 am

hmm, musta missed that..it was 75 here and sunny, I was outside, if true:

this signing needed to happen, no cardinal has ever stuck around their entire career since probbly Bob Gibson. Yad at some point may need to shift to 1B to get the most years out of hm. Yadi is a cornerstone of this current ownership era and after the another building block went west. Yadi needs to be here, we need him more than he needs us.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:59 am

cardinalfan4life wrote:hmm, musta missed that..it was 75 here and sunny, I was outside, if true:

this signing needed to happen, no cardinal has ever stuck around their entire career since probbly Bob Gibson. Yad at some point may need to shift to 1B to get the most years out of hm. Yadi is a cornerstone of this current ownership era and after the another building block went west. Yadi needs to be here, we need him more than he needs us.

I don't normally agree with comments like this, but in Yadi's case I agree that he needed to be signed. If he wanted something really stupid like 25 per year for 5+ years, then OK, but 3 @ 20 per is doable and I'm really really glad they got it done.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2120):
84 seasons, 8407-5033 (.626), 75 Playoff Apps, 53 Division Titles, 36 League Titles
13 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104, 2115, 2117, 2119)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 am

I think one of the biggest things that allows them to go after keeping Molina like they did is that this franchise is in a much more stable place than they were 5 years ago when Pujols was a free agent.

I feel like that 2011 team, though it won the World Series, was much older. Much less expectation for success going forward. Their core contributors were in their early 30s and while there were a bunch of guys on their top-20 prospects list in 2011 that have provided contributions over the last five years (Martinez, Carpenter, Lynn, Rosenthal, Miller, Pham, and even Taveras was on it), those guys were still 2-3 years from making impact and still suspect. So it wasn't really a great time for the organization to go all in for a franchise record contract on a 31 year old player coming off three straight years of decline, the worst season of his career, and who had suffered most of the previous few seasons with nagging injuries that cost him performance (and have cost him the ability to regularly play the field since then).

Now five years later, they have a core of players in their mid-20s. The pillars they intend to build off of over the next 4-5 years are locked up or under team control. And they've got a depth of high level prospects (and as Goold puts it, you can't really bet on individual prospects, but you can bet on depth) coming through the system that I don't think I've seen before. So they can afford to go all in on an older player like they just did with Molina.

I think if Mo is honest with you, 2012-2015 worked out way better than he expected. It wasn't like the Cubs this year, where basically Epstein and Hoyer's offseason strategy was basically, "Don't screw it up." Mo had to make a lot of changes on the team, if not that winter, coming up that he had to prepare for. Just keeping everyone in 2012 and doing it again wasn't really an option.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:32 am

And I also think that a lot of the credit for not burying the franchise under a large Pujols contract goes to DeWitt for giving Mozeliak the freedom to not sign him. A lesser owner, faced with the prospect of a struggling team going forward, would have insisted on ensuring that a franchise icon like that was kept at all costs.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”