Adams in LF

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Adams in LF

Postby marteezy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:23 am

I agree Chev, more discussion topics would be a great thing. So here we go.

I don't know why Matheny is so intent on getting Adams starts in LF when you already have Martinez on the roster. I know some don't like to hear the Matheny bashing. But this is another instance that's just a head scratcher.

In the offseason the team proclaimed their commitment to better defense and more athleticism.

Matheny' answer, let's give Big City some starts in LF. And let's start an outfielder at first base. These moves are interesting to say the least. And the fact that they want to bring in McGee to spend time with Adams is helpful, but kind of a waste of resources.

Cardinals bringing in McGee as outfield tutor for Adams http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 90daa.html
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Re: Adams in LF

Postby Tulcard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:48 am

Adams can't be any worse in LF than Greg Luzinsky, Dave Kingman or Chris Duncan. I know Matheny is trying to get Adams PT and get his bat in the lineup, but why play the guy out of position? I'd like to see Adams at 1B and move Carpenter back to 3B with Peralta to the bench.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:57 am

Yes. At this point of his career, Peralta's days should be limited at best. He'd be better served coming off the bench. This is why they front loaded his contract, they anticipated him being in decline by this season.

As for Adams, if you want to get him at bats, put him at first and Carp at third.

But I really don't need to see Adams start in LF. If the game is in extras or in an emergency situation, it's nice to know that you can stick him out there. But there is no need to start him.
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Topps » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:18 pm

I completely agree with the both of you on Adams. Having him learn LF on the fly during the season is a tad absurd to me. I think R27 said it best and most here agree, Adams needs to be at first, Carp at third, and Peralta off the bench. Peralta hasn't provided a whole heck of a lot offensively in quite some time. Never mind his defense.

Chalking this up to some Matheny's bone head thinking and hoping someone sometime soon sets him on the right path and puts these guys where they can prove most beneficial.
Razz
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Razz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:38 pm

IMO it makes absolutely no sense to play Adams in LF when Jose Martinez, the hottest player in ST is sitting on the bench as the fourth outfielder.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:10 pm

The good news is, with the miracle of pilates, diet & a hot trainer he now looks like an outfielder!

The Roster does not match-up well with the 8 positions. Even in AL play. Especially with Peralta being washed-up.

I hate to see Carp at 1B because that's where we can park the big sticks. They need to freakin' win some games.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Speaking of Carp, I'm almost to the point where I'd like to see the team trade him for either a legit starting second baseman, third baseman or a legit starting left fielder.

Carp is a hybrid player that isn't a difference maker. He doesn't hit for enough power to be a corner infielder. And with the teams defensive problems, he's not good enough defensively to make a difference at second.

While he is a very fine player, he's more of a complimentary player than a premier player.

Therefore I'd trade him for something that can really help the team now and in the future, plant Adams or something at first and move.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Not sure I'd trade Carp until I identify another anchor player. It's early yet, but we seem to have a handful of in-betweeners that will never be anchors.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Here's the question, how much worse would we have been last year or this year without Matt Carpenter?

Matt Carpenter is a .270 hitter with mediocre power and average defense for a corner infield position. He strikes out a lot and doesn't have speed. While he's a nice player, I wouldn't call him an anchor or a star player.

Right now, this team is devoid of any star caliber player. We have a bunch of complimentary players but no stars.

If you can move Carp and another player, say Wong or Adams or Grichuk and get a young exciting prospect back in return to shore up 1B, 3B or LF, you will significantly improve the fortunes of this team.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:27 am

Carp strikes out a fair amount, but he does also walk a lot. 14th in baseball last year and he missed 33 games. To me, positional value of offensive performance is important. Great value at second, good value at third, average at first.

I'm not at the point where I'd support blowing up the team and I think dealing Carpenter would be the start of that. Though, I'd rather have the .300, 50 doubles Carpenter than the .270, 25 HR Carpenter. Regardless, I think they're close enough you keep making additions.

In a vacuum, I have no problem with Adams in LF. The logic problem is that you're basically giving Adams playing time out of position at the expense of Grichuk rather than Peralta. And that is insane. When Adams plays he should be at first with Carpenter at third. It's the only arrangement that makes sense.

And speaking of Grichuk, I wonder what he's thinking right now. Hit 24 home runs as the regular center fielder while missing a month in Memphis. They sign Fowler for 5 years to play center and move him to left. They extend Piscotty for 6 years. And now he's sharing time with Adams in LF.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:43 am

Pretty much, if you are a position player not named Molina, Carpenter, Fowler or Piscotty, you're probably pretty uncomfortable. You have no idea if or where you are going to play when you get to the ballpark.

This thing is a mess. Matheny has really got this thing going sideways.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 am

marteezy wrote:Pretty much, if you are a position player not named Molina, Carpenter, Fowler or Piscotty, you're probably pretty uncomfortable. You have no idea if or where you are going to play when you get to the ballpark.

This thing is a mess. Matheny has really got this thing going sideways.

Well, I think Matheny texts the lineup to the team the night before. But I still feel like outside of the guys who have heavy commitments from the organization, you really can't rely on any particular way to get yourself playing time. "Just hit" is the common thing, but I'm not entirely sure that that would actually make that happen.

Greg Garcia has the second highest WAR from position players. Has started two games (this series thanks to the DH) and is 11th of 13 players in plate appearances.

How much better could this team be without Peralta and, even if you keep Adams playing in LF, having Garcia and Gyorko playing third base?

marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:35 am

I'm a huge fan of an everyday eight. I think that mindset would make things much better. Knowing exactly what your role is allows players to focus. Trying to get everyone on the roster 450 at bats is for lack of a better word dumb.

I feel that having a different lineup everyday is Matheny's idea of keeping players sharp. For the last 173 games it looks like it's done more harm than good.

Barring injury, fatigue or a weird matchup the lineup should be:

2 - Molina
3 - Carpenter
4 - Wong
5 - Gyorko
6 - Diaz
7 - Grichuk
8 - Fowler
9 - Piscotty
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am

Matheny says he'd like an everyday eight too. But I think the problem there is that the guys he wants to be his "everyday eight" don't play well enough to be committed to. Like Peralta and Wong. But essentially, I agree with you.

I'd designate my regulars and put PA targets on them and then use that to figure out how often we're looking to give guys time off and look for the most strategically advantageous times to do it, whether that be a platoon or a good/bad matchup. And at that point I'd have these targets.

C Molina - 500 to 550 PA
1B Carpenter - 650 PA
2B Wong - 500 PA
SS Diaz - 600 PA
3B Gyorko - 450 PA
LF Grichuk - 550 PA
CF Fowler - 650 PA
RF Piscotty - 650 PA

That leaves roughly 1,300 PA available to the remaining non-pitchers on the roster and that's allocated that to the bench.

marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Do you think the inconsistent play on the part of Grichuk and Wong is a byproduct of irregular playing time?

I don't think these guys are afforded the opportunity to play out of slumps. It's one thing to take reps in the cage, but you have to be able to figure some things out against live, competition pitches. Especially when you are a young player.

Those guys are not only fighting the competition, they are fighting themselves and their confidence.

If your boss has no faith in you, you will question everything you do.

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”