Adams in LF

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: Adams in LF

Postby R27 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:27 pm

marteezy wrote:Do you think the inconsistent play on the part of Grichuk and Wong is a byproduct of irregular playing time?

Wong, yes. I think there's more than enough evidence to suggest he needs to play regularly. I don't think 7 starts in 12 games is enough.

Grichuk, maybe. I don't actually think Grichuk has struggled as much as people want to say he has. A few more balls drop for hits and he's hitting .273. It's a lot like Piscotty batting .176 and then goes 3-for-5 and suddenly he's hitting .273. Grichuk just needs that game where he puts a few hits together. I didn't get to watch the Nationals series (thanks to greedy MASN when I couldn't even buy their channel if I wanted to) or much of the Yankees series, but in the games I have seen, Grichuk was taking great ABs. And that's the key for him, I think. If Grichuk can hit about .250 and hit me 30 HRs, I'm a happy man.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:00 pm

I agree. I think Grichuk is pretty much what he is and MM needs to accept that and just play the guy.

As for Wong, I've been saying for a couple years now that they need to just right him into the lineup everyday and let him go. We know the guy has all the tools. We also know that he doesn't have the strongest mental makeup.

But I think most of us can see that to-yo'ing him in and out of the lineup isn't beneficial to him in anyway.

Hopefully Matheny figures this out at some point.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:05 pm

marteezy wrote:As for Wong, I've been saying for a couple years now that they need to just right him into the lineup everyday and let him go. We know the guy has all the tools. We also know that he doesn't have the strongest mental makeup.

I wrote this on Wong a couple days after his comments in response to Matheny saying he intended to platoon him and Gyorko early in the season.

Wong’s second year, 2015, saw Wong left unimpeded at second base and he responded. He hit .280/.343/.434 with 9 home runs in the first half and was widely considered an All Star snub. He slumped after the break though, hitting just .202/.264/.264 while starting 32 consecutive games. Greg Garcia came up, Wong got a night off, and then he finished the season hitting .287/.331/.398 from the middle of August through the end of the season.

But the damage was done. What was a solid finish to the season and an improvement over his rookie year turned into a story about how he was now a question mark. All from a four week stretch in the middle of an otherwise All Star caliber season.

So basically, the month after the All Star Break turned Wong from an All Star candidate at second base to a question mark. On either side of that slump, that's a player you play every day.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 pm

I agree. Wong looks the part of a stud. His skills haven't diminished and he isn't a fluke. His struggles today show the impact of what happens when you do everything possible to kill a guys confidence.

But once again, this comes back around to Mo. He signed the guy to a long term deal. He needs to strong arm Matheny into playing the guy everyday.

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”