Mo and Matheny Have Had Enough

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Mo and Matheny Have Had Enough

Postby marteezy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:24 am

The thread subject should actually be, Mo has had enough.
There's a few meaty pieces in this article. Most notable being:

1. According to Mo, Adams won't be getting many more starts in LF.
2. Some players have earned the right to battle through slumps.

I read those as, "Mike, what are you doing? Please don't run Big City out there again."

And, "Mike, ya know I signed Wong to a long term deal last year. Therefore, I'd like to see him actually earn his money playing, not sitting in your inexplicable doghouse. Good talk!"

Cardinals notes: Mozeliak, Matheny have had enough http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... d47af.html
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: Mo and Matheny Have Had Enough

Postby R27 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 am

One of the things Mo said that didn't make that piece, but that Jenifer Langosh tweeted out, is that Peralta is on a short leash. Which is good. Shouldn't have brought him back this year anyway. Would have been better for both parties to go their own ways over the winter.

The very worst thing the Cardinals could do is lose and not answer any questions about young guys who might have to step into bigger roles going forward by remaining committed to a vet like Peralta.

Much else is just a repeat of discussions we've had. My first three things I'd do are 1) Cut Peralta, 2) Tell Carpenter he's going to be used as a 1B/3B the rest of the season to add an opportunity for Adams to play if he gets hot, 3) Adjust the lineup. Basically move Carpenter to second and tell him to approach it like a leadoff hitter, Grichuk to third, Diaz to fourth and keep most of the rest. I wrote about that last night, actually.

Something interesting I found that they may want to consider, but Carpenter and Fowler have similar, but opposite split stats, which could make a good opportunity to platoon the top two spots in the lineup. Carpenter hits .293/.390/.475 against RHP and Fowler hits .300/.390/.440 against LHP. Meaningfully better numbers than the reverse. Maybe worth thinking about. If you can convince them both to approach their ABs like leadoff hitters regardless of where they are, it could work.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:36 am

People talk a lot about Wong's mental makeup. But one guy that doesn't get talked about is Carpenter. He is a totally different guy when he isn't hitting leadoff. It's mind blowing that there is nearly a 40 point swing between him hitting leadoff versus any place else in the order.

I agree I'd platoon him and Fowler in the lead off spot. But I think I'd have Diaz hit three, Piscotty four and Grichuk five.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Two changes that I would make immediately, whether politically incorrect in the Clubhouse or not:

Fowler moves over, Pham plays CF. Period.

Yadi has to hit 8th, never higher than 7th. Period.

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”