Official 2017 Cardinals News Thread

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Re: Official 2017 Cardinals News Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm

mhardy_03 wrote: Not even an MV1 anymore. Times have changed a lot and they need to find at least 1 person who you know they can count on.

Yep, when Dexter Fowler is your biggest FA trophy since an elderly Beltran that's not maintaining excellence. Mike Leake's your long-term acquisition anchor? That's what you're able to go out & secure?

From a franchise face & franchise personality standpoint thank God they extended Molina. I fear the vacuum of personality & star power we're facing as his career winds down. Who's going to be our poster guy or poster guys? I don't see one in the pipeline. CMart's talented but whether he'll mature & grow into a consistent all-around Ace & anchor is iffy IMO. And, can we retain him if he does?

Need some top-tier, core talent.
Elite1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Postby Elite1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 pm

R27 wrote:I wrote the other day about what to do when Wong comes back on Friday because we have five infielders who deserve to start. I suggested moving Carpenter to LF and making Piscotty the fourth outfielder.

Now, I don't think they'll do it because they've got him signed to a six year deal, but I think that actually makes it easier to tell him he's taking a back seat right now because long-term the team is still committed to him, so he's going to get a chance to be part of the starting 8 again either when an infielder cools off or next year.

I agree, I would like to see Carp play some corner OF. I believe he actually has played over 100 games, in the OF, as a Redbird. How do you sit Voit, with the kind of numbers he is putting up? Who knows, Voit may be just a flash in the pan, but I think he deserves to keep playing, until he cools off. Yes, Piscotty has been a disappointment, I hope he can turn it around, in the 2nd half. In reality, however, Carp has been a disappointment as well, not only due to his low batting average, but also due to his constant base running blunders. Let's hope both Carp and Piscotty can improve their play, during the 2nd half of the season... we will need them to, if we are going to make a run at the division title.
Elite1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Postby Elite1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Elite1 wrote:STL pitchers, ERA, at the all-star break:

Mike Leake 3.12
Brett Cecil* 3.31
Carlos Martinez 3.40
Seung-hwan Oh 3.54
Lance Lynn 3.61
Matthew Bowman 3.86
Trevor Rosenthal 4.05
Michael Wacha 4.10
Tyler Lyons* 4.15
Kevin Siegrist* 4.94
Adam Wainwright 5.20

STL Pitchers, WHIP, at the all-star break:

Matt Bowman 1.071
Lance Lynn 1.134
Mike Leake 1.149
Carlos Martinez 1.160
Brett Cecil 1.217
Trevor Rosenthal 1.260
Seung-hwan Oh 1.377
Tyler Lyons* 1.385
Michael Wacha 1.424
Adam Wainwright 1.495
Kevin Siegrist* 1.610

Need some improvement, from our pitchers, in the 2nd half of the season... Wacha and Waino have shown flashes of their old selves, of late. Cecil has really improved, drastically, over the past 6 weeks, or so, Even Rosie and Oh have shown some improvement, of late. Do we have enough pitching to win the division, or do we need to go shopping, like the Cubs did today?
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:38 am

MLB article on Cardinals at trade deadline. We'll see what we do, if anything. Notice the words "hesitant" in the second paragraph and "invest" from the Cardinals owner. Hope we can do something to improve the offense, but I'm not expecting much:

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article ... -deadline/
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 am

Any move the Cardinals make will be aimed at 2018 with whatever you get in 2017 being bonus.

Duke was acquired at the deadline in 2016, but was really to help this year (his injury why they went to get Cecil in the offseason).
Moss was acquired at the deadline in 2015, but was really for 2016.
Lackey was acquired at the deadline in 2014, but was really for 2015.
Mujica was acquired at the deadline in 2012, but was really for 2013.
Westbrook was acquired at the deadline in 2010, but was really for 2011.

We'll see what Girsch doesn, but that's the way Mo has always worked. And in alot of ways, Donaldson fits that strategy. You'd have him for this year, but he'd really be to give you a shot next year.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 am

Girsch indicated in recent STLPD interview that Mo will have direct involvement with him on any decisions for now but that if he performs his duties well his authority will evolve to one of more autonomy. So I would expect foreseeable transactions to have Mo's fingerprints all over them.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:53 am

I think Mo will act as a very responsive sounding board to Girsch at the deadline. its going to be curious to see what direction they take regarding Lynn and Oh. I think there is a tremendous market for both. A market that should be able to bring back some much needed, corner infield or outfield depth.

Here's a question. What do you guys honestly think they could get in return if they dangled Matt Carpenter at the deadline?
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Carp's contract isn't that great as others that have been dealt, mainly because it's four years old at this point. He's got $30M/2 + $16.5M option left after this season. I still think he could net you a couple top prospects that would help soon.

It'd be a huge risk to trade Carpenter. He is your team's best hitter. On a team struggling on offense. Hard to justify it unless you go full rebuild. And that's not really an option in STL.

Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:08 pm

I would be happy to move Carpenter if included in the right package. I don't think he would bring much by himself, but would have to be included with others in a deal. Could be wrong here, but is just my feeling.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:13 pm

It would be interesting to see if the Jays would take Carpenter, Grichuk, and a 5-10 range prospect in exchange for Donaldson and Happ. Jays get a leadoff hitter to get on in front of Smoak, Morales, and Bautista. Cards get a middle of the lineup bat to hit behind Fowler and Pham as well as a starting pitcher to bridge the gap to Reyes next year.

Cards have to figure out how to stash Happ for two months until Lynn's a free agent, but maybe you find a way to flip Lynn to find a rotation spot.

marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:36 pm

I don't think this team is significantly worse if you remove Carpenter from the equation. If we were an AL team, I could live with him. But since he offers nothing defensively, and he has no speed, he doesn't seem irreplaceable to me.

If he was a no doubt 30+ homer a year guy that would be one thing. If he could produce any other place in the lineup besides leadoff, I'd rethink my stance on him, but he's none of that.

He's a slow lead off hitter that doesn't hit for a particularly high average and while he walks a lot, he also strikes out a lot. He would've been a great lead off hitter in the days of the MV3. But when your "best hitter" is hitting leadoff, it benefits no one.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:40 pm

OF playing time issue solved for a few days:

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article ... n-dl-back/
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Since rejoining the Cardinals on June 25, the Grichuk is batting .196 (11-for-56) with five home runs, two doubles and 11 RBI in 15 games.

So his trip down to improve his pitch recognition skills has resulted in a .196 BA.

Can we say BUST yet? Come on .............................
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:03 pm

chevyman58 wrote:Since rejoining the Cardinals on June 25, the Grichuk is batting .196 (11-for-56) with five home runs, two doubles and 11 RBI in 15 games.

So his trip down to improve his pitch recognition skills has resulted in a .196 BA.

Can we say BUST yet? Come on .............................

The irony is, I don't know if his pitch recognition has improved, but in general he's swinging less than ever.

I wrote last night about Grichuk and my effort to find a statistical reason for his struggles. Couldn't really find one. Not even biting at sliders down and away like we always joke. He's swinging at them a full 6% less than last year (31% to 25%).

Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Grichuk swings through a heck of a lot of pitches. His power is intriguing. Always has been. He just has never found a way to be consistent in a good way. Unfortunately he trends in the opposite direction. Something just doesn't click with him/for him.

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”