Official 2018 Cardinals Rumors Thread

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: Official 2017 Cardinals Rumors Thread

Postby R27 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:45 pm

mhardy_03 wrote:Nah, I disagree that Yelich is what we hoped for with Piscotty. I dunno about you guys, but I saw Piscotty as a solid regular, .800-.850 OPS, 20 HR with lots of doubles guy who was average RF with a plus arm. Yelich can be a star. Plus defender, plus baserunner. .900 OPS, 25-30 HR type of player. Basically what Pham was last year. All IMO.

.800-.850 OPS. Yelich has an .800 career OPS, .818 last three years.
20 HR. Yelich has a 15 HR career 162 game average. 20 HR average last two years.
Lots of doubles? Yelich is one of 11 players to have 30+ doubles the each of the last four seasons.
Average RFer with plus arm? Yelich is an average to plus corner outfielder. Hard to know quite how his arm stacks up in RF since he's never played it, but it is plus for left field though minus for center field.

Seems like he's closer to what you thought Piscotty would be than you're willing to admit.

I don't see much more growth potential out of Yelich that what he is. And what he has been, is what you'd hoped to get out of Piscotty.

Meanwhile, Bonds has said Ozuna could be a consistent 30 HR guy. He also said Fowler would make a good #3 hitter and it turns out, he was pretty good at it.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Yes, what I expect from Piscotty is what Yelich is now. I expect Yelich to get better as a hitter in particular. Piscotty has gotten worse as he has gotten more exposure. Yelich has developed 20 HR power since he came up while keeping his on base skills, and IMO has more room for growth in that department.

Not saying you are wrong and/or I am right. I just hold different opinions about the two players. It is very possibly that 2017 Ozuna is the minimum we can expect and Yelich is who he is. I don't think that is how it will play out. I've been wrong plenty of times in the past, just ask my wife. :lol:

Honestly I would be fine with either. I just prefer one more than the other. Ozuna will cost much less in prospects and if that means they can use other prospects for another upgrade, then I'm game. Agree to disagree on who they should target first though. :lol:
Last edited by mhardy_03 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2121):
85 seasons, 8520-5080 (.626), 76 Playoff Apps, 54 Division Titles, 37 League Titles
14 World Series Titles (last in 2121)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:52 pm

It's been reported that Stanton might be more inclined to accept a trade to the Cardinals if they completed a trade to acquire Colome and Longoria from Tampa.

I guess he doesn't want to be the only guy who thought he was going to be a lifetime Floridian banished to the midwest.

mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:54 pm

R27 wrote:It's been reported that Stanton might be more inclined to accept a trade to the Cardinals if they completed a trade to acquire Colome and Longoria from Tampa.

I guess he doesn't want to be the only guy who thought he was going to be a lifetime Floridian banished to the midwest.

Where did you see that? Not doubting it or anything, but I have never heard anything like this before. A player will waive his NTC if the team trades for specific players on another team. :lol:
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

85 seasons, 8520-5080 (.626), 76 Playoff Apps, 54 Division Titles, 37 League Titles
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:57 pm

mhardy_03 wrote:
R27 wrote:It's been reported that Stanton might be more inclined to accept a trade to the Cardinals if they completed a trade to acquire Colome and Longoria from Tampa.

Where did you see that? Not doubting it or anything, but I have never heard anything like this before. A player will waive his NTC if the team trades for specific players on another team. :lol:

Ken Rosenthal reported that he hasn't made his decision and could be swayed if the Giants got Ohtani or if the Cardinals got Colome and Longoria. Perhaps not specific trades, but the hint is there that if they can prove that they're serious about contending they could get a yes from him to accept the trade.

mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:03 pm

R27 wrote:
mhardy_03 wrote:

Ken Rosenthal reported that he hasn't made his decision and could be swayed if the Giants got Ohtani or if the Cardinals got Colome and Longoria. Perhaps not specific trades, but the hint is there that if they can prove that they're serious about contending they could get a yes from him to accept the trade.

This whole thing has been odd as it is. Just took another whole turn. :lol:
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Topps » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 pm

R27 wrote:
mhardy_03 wrote:

Read a little bit ago that Ohtani chose the Angels. Guess that hurts SF some.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:05 pm

And it is now official that Stanton is not an option for the Cardinals. He told them that he will not waive his NTC for them.

On to Yelich/Ozuna.

https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/9 ... 5634993152
"We had an agreement to acquire Giancarlo Stanton from the Miami Marlins, subject to him waiving his no-trade clause. We have been notified that he will not waive his no-trade clause to come to St. Louis," #STLCards chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. said. 1/2

"While we are disappointed in his decision, we will continue to make every effort to improve our club for the upcoming season,' DeWitt added.

“Unfortunately we were not able to convince Stanton to waive his no-trade clause and join the Cardinals. We felt this was a great landing spot for him, but it was not meant to be,” #STLCards president of baseball ops John Mozeliak added.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

cardinalfan4life
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby cardinalfan4life » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:21 pm

in ownership we can not trust...couldn't afford Pujols, cant afford Stanton. on to the brett cecial/estaban yan/kip wells/mike maroths of the world..yay dumpster diving
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Topps » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:27 pm

cardinalfan4life wrote:in ownership we can not trust...couldn't afford Pujols, cant afford Stanton. on to the brett cecial/estaban yan/kip wells/mike maroths of the world..yay dumpster diving

Its got nothing to do with not affording Stanton. The Cards had a deal with the Marlins to get him, Stanton simply chose not to come here. The guy has earned that by his time in the MLB, you can't fault him for not going somewhere he doesn't want to be. This one is most definitely not on the ownership.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:10 pm

I don't know that any of us would have expected Stanton to choose St. Louis as his landing spot. Fine by me. Good luck....see ya.

Ozuna, Yelich nor Longoria excite me. Thanks, but I'll pass. The team was willing to ante up in $$ and prospects for Stanton. My preference hitter wise would be to check on Abreu, Donaldson (If for more than 1 year) Machado Harper, JD Martinez or someone at this level if you want a difference maker. Otherwise IMO you're trading tit for tat. We'll probably wind up with someone we had not even heard of as a target in the end.

First priority for me though is pitching and defense. Make sure we have a strong rotation and bullpen. Will be interested to see who we sign/trade for in the closer slot and possible the set-up role. No Mozeliak spin here and dumpster diving please. Already did that with the recent signing (Hope I'm wrong here).

Solidify the bullpen next week. I'm not sold on the rotation as yet, but there will not be any movement in that area. Get the pen done. Get a true feared bat. Lots to do.

I just keep remembering....if we just could have won half of the 1 run games we lost/squandered last season we would have finished numero uno in the division. Kind of a strange stat to me.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:36 pm

cardinalfan4life wrote:in ownership we can not trust...couldn't afford Pujols, cant afford Stanton. on to the brett cecial/estaban yan/kip wells/mike maroths of the world..yay dumpster diving

Stanton not coming here has NOTHING to do with ownership. They made the trade happen. Stanton chose not to come here. How you could be upset at ownership about this is beyond me.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

cardinalfan4life
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby cardinalfan4life » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:53 pm

well, it is what it is, I already know the type of signings they'll make before they happen. Maybe it'll take afew more years of losing for the fans to wake up and not come out, this is not a good ballclub as of this date
gocardinals1511
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Postby gocardinals1511 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:07 pm

cardinalfan4life wrote:well, it is what it is, I already know the type of signings they'll make before they happen. Maybe it'll take afew more years of losing for the fans to wake up and not come out, this is not a good ballclub as of this date

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:09 pm

cardinalfan4life wrote:well, it is what it is, I already know the type of signings they'll make before they happen. Maybe it'll take afew more years of losing for the fans to wake up and not come out, this is not a good ballclub as of this date

They successfully traded for Stanton. Had the best deal to where the Marlins accepted their offer. Stanton used his NTC. That isn't on the front office. That's on Stanton. You can blame them for the past couple seasons of coming in 2nd. They didn't here. Now we will see what happens the rest of the off-season. Be as negative as you want about the team and what you think they will do. But the FO just traded for one of the best players in the league. I don't see how you can possibly fault them here.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”