Let's Discuss The Outfield Situation - 8/22/17

Your place for everything about the St. Louis Cardinals.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Re: Let's Discuss The Outfield Situation - 8/22/17

Postby Tulcard » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:17 am

If DeJong is able to play in 150-154 games there is no reason that Garcia can't play 8-12 games at SS IMO.
Razz
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Razz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:37 pm

[quote="chevyman58"]Haven't we seen Gyorko play a few times at SS & do a serviceable job? Or am I having another senior-moment memory?
I think Garcia is up too, just thinkin' Gyorko could cover SS a handful of times for rest days, or for an in-game injury until a callup could catch a bus./quote]

With the roster I listed I was counting Carpenter at first base, and Gyorko at third. That leaves Garcia as the only back up for SS and third, therefore he's almost guaranteed to make the team. If there's only one position spot left it will probably go to either Bader or Grichuk, because Martinez will be counted as a infielder and outfielder.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:44 pm

R27 wrote:
chevyman58 wrote:Haven't we seen Gyorko play a few times at SS & do a serviceable job? Or am I having another senior-moment memory?

R27, can you access sortable stats by position on that one?

I think Garcia is up too, just thinkin' Gyorko could cover SS a handful of times for rest days, or for an in-game injury until a callup could catch a bus.

Garcia is a far better shortstop than Gyorko. Gyorko could play it here and there, but I wouldn't put him there with Carpenter at 3B, so I don't see the point to put him there.

I was just suggesting that Gyorko could be an emergency SS for a once-in-a-blue-moon rest day or in-game injury until a callup could arrive. NOT that I'd play him over Garcia.

My bet is there will be an additional position player move or two that will reshape our imaginations.

Now that Ozzie's back in the family couldn't he get in great shape & give us a few innings as-needed?

After all, Jeter's proving to be such a heartless, Loria-esque cheapskate in Miami I expect him to suit up & play just to save money.

Return to “St. Louis Cardinals”