2015 Arizona Fall League Cardinals

From Memphis to the Gulf Coast League. All about the Cardinals' minor league affiliates.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

2015 Arizona Fall League Cardinals

Postby marteezy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:38 pm

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... ab1b8.html

I think this may be the year I finally breakdown and make the drive over to Arizona and catch a couple Fall League games. I'm really intrigued to see Alex Reyes in action.
MadHungo
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Re: 2015 Arizona Fall League Cardinals

Postby MadHungo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:44 am

Cards' Wisdom rakes in AFL offensive
break out

St. Louis' No. 12 prospect goes 3-for-5 with 4 RBIs in
20-run performance for Surprise

By Spencer Fordin / MLB.com | October 16th, 2015

MESA, Ariz. -- A force of nature was the only thing that could slow down Patrick Wisdom and the Surprise Saguaros Friday. Wisdom doubled twice, tripled and drove in four runs in a 20-6 win over the Mesa Solar Sox, and the middle innings of the game were played under threat of an impending sandstorm.

Wisdom, named by MLB Pipeline as the No. 12 prospect in the Cardinals' organization, scored four runs in the rout. Wisdom tripled home two runs and scored on an error by the center fielder in the third inning, and he delivered an RBI double in the fifth. His final RBI came on a bases-loaded walk.

"I've never played through a sandstorm before," said Wisdom of the weather's impact on the game. "The conditions were not ideal. Sand in your eye. Kept blinking, trying to focus. It was a little hazy. But we got through it. I thought it was supposed to rain earlier, but I guess it held off until [the end]."

Wisdom, who usually plays third base, was at first base on Friday for his monster day at the plate. His first hit was a lined shot to center field in the third inning, and as he steamed around the bases, he got a chance to come home because of a misplay by the center fielder.

Read More

Reyes dominates in first Fall League
start

Cardinals' No. 1 prospect leads Surprise to victory with
scoreless outing

By Spencer Fordin / MLB.com | October 15th, 2015

SCOTTSDALE, AZ -- The next great Cardinal arm made short work of the Arizona Fall League Thursday night. Alex Reyes, the No. 16 prospect in baseball and No. 1 prospect in St. Louis' farm system, delivered an impressive start for Surprise in a 3-0 win over Mesa.

Reyes, 21, worked into the fourth inning and recorded five strikeouts in his Fall League debut, and Surprise wound up with the first shutout of the young AFL season. His fastball was sitting around 97-98 mph throughout his start.

Reyes allowed just one hit, following up on a campaign that saw him thrive against upper-level bats for the first time.

"It feels good just to get out there and to get a feel, to be back on the mound and compete with these guys," said Reyes, who signed with St. Louis out of the Dominican Republic in 2012. "It's a tremendous dugout and a tremendous clubhouse, and it was absolutely fun to be out there tonight."

Read More
Image Image
MadHungo
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby MadHungo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:19 am

Tilson scores five runs in AFL rout
Cardinals' outfield prospect sets table in
Surprise's 18-run outburst

By Jim Callis / MLB.com

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Players designated for Arizona Fall League taxi squads only appear in games on Wednesdays and Saturdays, so they have to be prepared to make the most of their limited opportunities. Charlie Tilson did exactly that in a matchup of the league's top teams.

The Cardinals outfielder went 3-for-5 with two doubles, drew a walk and scored five runs as the Surprise Saguaros routed the Glendale Desert Dogs 18-3 on Saturday. Glendale dropped to 6-2 while Surprise improved to 7-3.

Tilson played in 134 of a possible 140 games at Double-A Springfield this year, and he already has sat out as many contests in the AFL as he did during the Texas League season. He says watching from the bench has been an adjustment, but he has tried to stay sharp by bouncing ideas off and discussing different scenarios with fellow Saguaros taxi squad members Nate Orf (Brewers) and Dustin Fowler (Yankees). He also tries to take lessons from his previous game and incorporate them into his next.

"Today I was trying to lay off offspeed pitches until I got into two-strike counts," Tilson said. "I wanted to time up fastballs. That's how I simplified it for me, and it seemed to work out pretty well today."

Read More

Image Charles Tilson 8 | CF
Springfield Cardinals (Double-A | Texas League)

Full Name: Charles Everett Tilson
Birthplace: Wilmette, IL
Bats/Throws: L/L Ht: 5' 11" Wt: 175
Draft: Round 2 (2011, STL)
School: New Trier Township, Winnetka, IL
Image Image
MadHungo
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby MadHungo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:26 am

Scouting profile: Luke Weaver

By Bernie Pleskoff / MLB.com | October 28th, 2015

Background

As is so often the case, the Cardinals have uncovered another pitcher with huge upside for their already deep stable of organizational pitching. I am very impressed with right-handed pitcher Luke Weaver.

Weaver attended DeLand (Fla.) High School and earned a selection by the Blue Jays in the 2011 Draft. Instead, he elected to pitch for Florida State.

Weaver worked his way to becoming a staff ace for the Seminoles, earning prestigious awards and honors, including being named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference Team in 2014. He was on the ACC Academic Honor Roll throughout his career and made the Florida State Dean's List in '13.

Weaver is a lanky 6-foot-2, 170 pounds. One would not expect the loose, lightning-fast arm he has put on display so far in the Arizona Fall League.

In the very deep Cardinals organization, Weaver is already ranked No. 8 among the team's Top 30 Prospects, according to MLB.com.

Read More

Image Image
MadHungo
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby MadHungo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:14 am

Cards' Weaver deals in Fall League victory

Club's No. 8 prospect throws four scoreless innings,
allows two hits in win for Surprise

By Mike Rosenbaum / MLB.com | November 6th, 2015

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Some of the top arms in this year's Arizona Fall League were on display Friday afternoon at Salt River Fields, but none were more impressive than right-hander Luke Weaver.

The Cardinals' No. 8 prospect allowed two hits over four scoreless innings, striking out a pair, as Surprise defeated Peoria, 6-1. Of the 62 pitches Weaver threw in the outing, 38 went for strikes.

"It felt really good," Weaver said about his start. "I was tinkering around with some mechanical stuff and just kind of got into a nice sync. The ball was jumping out of my hand and a little up in the zone early, so I just worked to keep it down in the zone, and it made all my other pitches a little bit better later on."

Weaver has appeared in five games for Surprise in the Fall League, but Friday's outing marked his first start. The 22-year-old has thrown 14 1/3 innings on the season, posting a 1.88 ERA with 14 strikeouts in that span. Opposing hitters, meanwhile, are batting a paltry .102 against him.

Read More
Image Image
MadHungo
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby MadHungo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:15 am

Diaz leads charge in Surprise's wild 6-5 win

Infielder one of three Cardinals prospects to contribute
on Military Appreciation Night

By Tom Singer / MLB.com | November 14th, 2015

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Fall League is where top MLB prospects get to confirm their pedigrees, or learn new tricks. And those below the radar can come here to get discovered.

All three elements were in play Saturday night in the Surprise Saguaros' 6-5 victory in 10 innings over the Rafters on an emotional Military Appreciation Night at Salt River Fields.

A trio of St. Louis Cardinals prospects took care of most of the offense as the Saguaros (16-10) moved a big step closer to clinching the West Division title with as bizarre a finish as ever seen.

Four innings after doubling for a sixth-inning run, Mike Ohlman, the Cards' No. 27 prospect, was coaching first base in the top of the 10th when a wild throw to an unoccupied first base went for a two-base error that enabled pinch-runner Dustin Fowler to score the winning run from second base.

Fowler ran for Jurickson Profar after his one-out double. The Rafters meant to appeal that Profar had missed first base, but pitcher Carlos Estevez's throw sailed far over first baseman Rowdy Tellez's head.

"The umpire told me he would've called 'safe' even if the throw had been good," revealed Ohlman. "You kinda hate to win a game that way. You'd rather see someone get a big hit."

Read More

Image Image
Image Image
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:56 am

Diaz may get the opportunity to be our utility man next season.... 8-)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:31 am

Profar is playing in the AFL? That's got to be super rare to have a guy with MLB experience playing.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
Razz
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Razz » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:59 am

R27 wrote:Profar is playing in the AFL? That's got to be super rare to have a guy with MLB experience playing.

He doesn't have much MLB experience and hasn't played since 2013. Once the top prospect in baseball and now he's trying to just make the club. Only played a hand full of games in 2015 in AA as well.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:03 am

Profar apparently looked really good at the plate too. But I think I saw that he didn't play in the field and they wondered if he would ever be good in the field again after his shoulder injury.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2119):
83 seasons, 8309-4971 (.626), 74 Playoff Apps, 52 Division Titles, 36 League Titles
13 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104, 2115, 2117, 2119)

Return to “Down on the Farm”