Armageddon is Near - NL Moving Towards the DH ! Nooooooo !!!

Talk about the rest of the MLB and baseball in general.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Armageddon is Near - NL Moving Towards the DH ! Nooooooo !!!

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:47 pm

Dangit .............. was hoping not in my lifetime ....................

If you love to watch MLB pitchers bat, take it in while you can, because 2016 may be the final season it happens.

At an MLB owners' meeting on Thursday in Coral Gables, Fla., Commissioner Rob Manfred said the idea of the designed hitter coming to the National League is "gaining momentum." What's more: Deciding whether to implement a unified DH rule could happen this year and then get rolled out for the 2017 season.

MLB is set to work on a new collective bargaining agreement with the players' union this year. The current CBA expires on Dec. 31, 2016 and it sounds as if the DH could be a big part of the new agreement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 48854.html
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: Armageddon is Near - NL Moving Towards the DH ! Nooooooo !!!

Postby R27 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:55 pm

It is the golden ticket that the owners hold over the players right now.

But I hate the idea of it.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
onefortheride
Prospect
Prospect

Postby onefortheride » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

.... I hate this so much.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:05 am

Also hate it. But the rules really need to be the same in both leagues. Wish it would go the other way but I know the PA would never let that happen. Ugh.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2115):
80 seasons, 8007-4793 (.626), 71 Playoff Apps, 49 Division Titles, 33 League Titles
11 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104, 2115)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:01 pm

mhardy_03 wrote:Also hate it. But the rules really need to be the same in both leagues. Wish it would go the other way but I know the PA would never let that happen. Ugh.

I don't know that AL teams who have guys they signed simply to be primarily DHs would let it happen either.

There was also an article on SportsOnEarth about the Definitive case of the universal DH but it's simply a regurgitation of the arguments for universal DH. And here my responses to said arguments.

#1 - Pitchers are really bad at hitting
So? There are plenty of other players who suck at hitting too, but excel at other aspects of the game. Should we allow DHs for them too? Brendan Ryan comes to mind. If Brendan Ryan could hit at least league average he'd be a hotly pursued free agent right now.

#2 - Pitchers are understandably bad at this
So? As the guy mentioned in his first sentence, utility and bench guys have this problem too. Why not just let all 13 hitters on the roster bat? FIVE DHs and you field your best 9.

#3 - Unnecessary differentiation between leagues
Agreed. But there's no argument why one side of this argument should just concede.

#4 - Unnecessary injury risk
Injuries happen. The game is dangerous. If anything you're far less likely to be injured at the plate than doing anything else in the game of baseball. I can recall about as many players being hurt away from the field as I can at the plate.

#5 - Specialization is everywhere
He says this like it's a positive. Specialization is a problem. Players should be valued based on their ability to bring multiple tools to the game, not simply one tool because we can use him in a scenario where we can take all the pluses of his one tool without feeling the negatives of the lack of his others.

#6 - Pitchers ineffectiveness at the plate is contagious
So?

#7 - The "strategy" argument is weakening
The author puts the concept that teams are using pinch hitters instead of their pitchers late in games as a reason why there is less and less strategy to this. Except he misses the point. There's strategy in the decision of letting your starter bat and continue pitching or putting the game in the hands of your bullpen. There's strategy in the decision of selecting which bench player you want to use. There's strategy in the decision of how deep to make your roster. It gets more players involved, tests your depth, and exposes weakness.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:29 pm

All I know is that if Madonna & Rosie O'Donnell can take their ABs than MLB pitchers should take theirs too.

Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Topps » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Like all of you, I hate the idea as well. As a matter of fact, I haven't talked to anyone personally that's a fan of the idea. I've always enjoyed the National League style of play, there's much more strategy involved in the game.

I know they keep talking about offense is what everyone is looking for, but as far as the people I know it's not what we're looking for. I have no problem with a 1-0 ball game. Dominant pitching is just as exciting to me as a 15-14 slugfest. I don't need to see constant runs scoring to be entertained, don't know why others feel the need to either.

That being said, it seems as if it's only a matter of time. I know tons that'll be disappointed once it does happen, myself included.

Return to “Around the League”