2017 Ex-Cardinal Watch Thread

Talk about the rest of the MLB and baseball in general.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: 2016 Ex-Cardinal Watch Thread

Postby mhardy_03 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:12 am

I'm just glad TLR was a much better manager than he is front office guy. :lol:
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2113):
77 seasons, 7692-4628 (.624), 68 Playoff Apps, 46 Division Titles, 30 League Titles
10 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:10 pm

They talk like La Russa's been there for five years. He's been there for just over two right now. And he didn't really start making decisions until that winter. So he's really been "in charge" for less than two years now.

My brother's a Diamondbacks fan, so we've talked a lot about what that team needs. And he was ecstatic to get Greinke and Miller. The team had plenty off offense (best offense in 2015 that didn't play half their games in Coors Field), so they needed to revamp the pitching staff and that's exactly what La Russa and Stewart did. They paid for Miller out of an organizational strength, offense.

The moves didn't pan out, but it doesn't mean they were the wrong moves. I mean, who could have seen that they'd add Grienke and Miller to their rotation and it would get worse? Mix in a couple hitters getting hurt and you've got a recipe for disaster. I feel like Stewart has made some smaller moves that really paid off for them right now, which is what they were going for.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:55 am

Pujols hit career homer No. 583 on Saturday night, tying him with former teammate Mark McGwire for 10th on the all-time list. Pujols has now HR'd off of 375 different MLB pitchers.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Heyward's been benched for 4 games.

There have been ongoing attempts to pump up Heyward’s feelings of self-worth this season. One you hear often from the Cubs is that he plays an excellent right field, which is true. Another is that he has hit the ball hard this season, which seems almost condescending, like giving trophies to divers for hitting the water. At some point, you just have to admit that a .225 hitter is a .225 hitter.

Next up for the Cubs is a three-game series in San Diego, another lovely place. Maddon has said Heyward will be back in the lineup against the Padres. Too bad.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/a-re ... ward-more/
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Topps » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:56 am

DeRosa had a pretty good break down on Heyward on MLB Central last week. He pointed out several things that Heyward needed to work on to get his hitting improved. He also said it wasn't something that was going to be fixed over night, it was going to take at least an off season.

I guess taking the McCutchen approach is something Maddon figured he'd try first.

I shouldn't but I find it funny that it was said that he didn't want the pressure of being "the guy" here so he signed in Chicago where he could be just another guy. That hasn't seemed to fit either as he's probably been the least productive offensively. Granted he did get his wish of being on a winning club, so far, which he could've gotten here as well.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 am

Pirates' David Freese has signed a two-year, $11 million contract that takes him through the 2018 season with a club option for 2019.

Freese will make $6.25 million in 2017 and $4.25 million in '18. Pittsburgh can pick up a $6 million option for '19 or buy him out for $500,000.

The 33-year-old signed a one-year, $3 million contract as a free agent in March and is hitting .276 with 12 home runs and 49 RBIs in 107 games. The eight-year veteran has made 58 starts at third base and 26 at first base.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:41 am

Freese is still a guy I wish we'd brought back, but there was just no place for him. Looks like he's found a good place in Pittsburgh.

He's played a bit of second base too. And I don't see why he couldn't play the corner outfields. Could be a nice, versatile utility piece.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Pujols just moved past McGwire and into sole possession of 10th on the all-time home run leaders list after going yard in the first inning off Marco Estrada for his 584th career home run. He has 24 jacks & 97 RBIs on the season.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:11 am

We are so conditioned to think of RBIs as a meaningful statistic that it seems illogical that someone could put up 120 RBIs and have a bad year. But that’s the case with Pujols. He has all these RBIs for two simple reasons:

1. He comes to the plate with more runners on base than any player in baseball — and it isn’t even close. It’s nice to hit behind Mike Trout, who leads the league in on-base percentage. It’s also nice to have Kole Calhoun and Yunel Escobar hitting in front of you because they both are getting on base this year, too. As of the moment, Pujols has come to the plate with 428 runners on base, 22 more than second-place Anthony Rizzo and 50 more than the next-closest guy in the American League, Carlos Correa.

2. Pujols does still swat the occasional homer (he’s got 24 of them), and he has timed his hits pretty well. Sixteen of his 24 homers are with runners on base. He’s hitting .310 with men on base, .200 without. You can chalk this up to his clutch hitting abilities if you are in that camp (though last year he hit better with the bases empty). But the larger point is that if you took one of a half-dozen Triple-A sluggers, put them in the middle of that Angels lineup and kept them there every game no matter how badly they hit, they would rack up plenty of RBIs.

When you look past RBIs, it’s pretty bleak. Pujols can no longer play the field. He can no longer run the bases. He doesn’t walk anymore. He doesn’t hit line drives anymore. He makes a lot of soft outs. His slugging numbers are down. He has more double-play grounders than doubles.

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/albert ... ost-years/
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:04 pm

He might set a career high for runners on base when he comes to the plate. Currently 430 base runners, his high was 495 in his second season. On pace for 544.

He's also on pace for the greatest disparity between runs scored and RBI for a 100 RBI player in MLB history.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:12 am

Despite the concerns about losing Kelly for short-term Lackey looks like Mo winning this one by a mile so far. Particularly when it included shedding Craig's salaries. Feel bad for Allen, like the guy a lot. Amazing how he's cratered. A shame.

Joe Kelly finally got back on track as a reliever at Pawtucket last month, allowing just one run on 11 hits in 16 innings during a span of 13 outings. He struck out 25 batters and walked only two during that impressive span.
He gets another shot in Boston with the Sept. 1 roster expansion. The Red Sox are looking to upgrade in the middle innings, so Kelly could impact the playoff race.

Outfielder/first baseman Allen Craig was the other big Cardinals piece in that trade and, well, things have gone from bad to worse for him. He recently suffered a 1-for-34 downturn at the plate for Pawtucket and is hitting just .164 at the Triple-A level. Craig, 32, has one more year at $11 million left on his contract, plus a $1 million buyout for 2018. Ouch!

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 32c47.html
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:20 am

chevyman58 wrote: He recently suffered a 1-for-34 downturn at the plate

He got 1 hit in 34 ABs? Amateur, Greg Garcia can do that with NO hits! ;)

Craig's struggled with oblique and knee injuries this season. Totally lost year.

chevyman58 wrote:Despite the concerns about losing Kelly for short-term Lackey looks like Mo winning this one by a mile so far. Particularly when it included shedding Craig's salaries. Feel bad for Allen, like the guy a lot. Amazing how he's cratered. A shame.

Mozeliak's winning it by a mile and we haven't even seen what the comp pick for Lackey is going to do.

Thanks for the gift Cherington! If it wasn't for the Dodgers bailing the Red Sox out of all the big money that Theo committed, Cherington's tenure would have been a complete failure.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:46 am

We used to think Jeff Passan hated the Cardinals. It appears he hates Tony LaRussa - WOW !!

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-hypoc ... 57175.html

Fixed Link, Thanx R27
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:04 am

I think you're looking for this one, chevy.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-hypoc ... 57175.html

I tend to agree with Passan's comments on La Russa here. Too many people saying stupid things about what Kaepernick and other NFL players are doing. Heck, a Republican congressman just suggested that Kaepernick's protest is sympathetic to ISIS because his girlfriend is a Muslim. Can white people lose their minds any more than they already have over this? Ultimately though, people will carry on about patriotism and the troops because as long as they can be louder than Kaepernick can about injustices, they can escape having to confront an issue that they would rather not.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:44 am

I agree that TLR is a Richard & a hypocrite. However, I think the same thing about Passan. His false outrage in so disingenuous. And he loses credibility when he calls names and cites steroids & DUI to discredit TLR. He didn't list any prior character flaws for Kaepernick or Jones. And I think it's incredibly lazy, self-serving & disingenuous to try to somehow primarily blame white elitism for small % of Blacks in baseball.

I think Kaepernick should be allowed to sit all he wants, it's a free country. And Jones can say whatever he wants to.

Return to “Around the League”