2017 Ex-Cardinal Watch Thread

Talk about the rest of the MLB and baseball in general.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Re: 2016 Ex-Cardinal Watch Thread

Postby mhardy_03 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:51 am

R27 wrote:I think you're looking for this one, chevy.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-hypoc ... 57175.html

I tend to agree with Passan's comments on La Russa here. Too many people saying stupid things about what Kaepernick and other NFL players are doing. Heck, a Republican congressman just suggested that Kaepernick's protest is sympathetic to ISIS because his girlfriend is a Muslim. Can white people lose their minds any more than they already have over this? Ultimately though, people will carry on about patriotism and the troops because as long as they can be louder than Kaepernick can about injustices, they can escape having to confront an issue that they would rather not.

The thing is, I don't think it is white people losing their minds over this. There probably are a number of people that are, but the media is making this into a national phenomenon just like they do with other things. Kaepernick started it in the preseason. After the Opening Night game, I saw an article that was pretty much word for word "Broncos LB Brandon Marshall becomes first NFL player to protest the national anthem in a regular season game." Is that really something to point out? As if it is really any different than doing it in a preseason game? Is the next one going to be "Player X is first player to protest the national anthem 2 regular season games in a row"? And every week, update it with the first after X weeks just to keep it in the news? Or start a new article every time someone who is somewhat notable joins in on it?

IMO South Park last night was on point making fun of it. They showed a junior high girls volleyball game with national media and thousands of people attending, doing play by play of the national anthem and whether or not 1 or more of the girls was going to kneel or sit or stand for the national anthem. Then freaked out about the outcome and when the game started, everyone left.

The media yet again blowing something up and making it seem like everyone is freaking out about it when I'm sure the number of people who truly are freaking out isn't all that high.

I think Kaepernick can do what he wants and TLR is in the wrong here. People also have the right to be upset with his actions and voice that. I personally don't care if he sits or stands or kneels or curls up in the fetal position or does jumping jacks or whatever. The only reason he is getting any sort of major attention is because he is an NFL QB who had a great half season and then postseason one year. And of course the media is blowing it up to be some sort of national phenomenon, when I'm sure people all over the country do this sort of thing every day. IMO the cause is fine, but our country's media is an absolute joke.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

Team info under my ownership (2037-2115):
80 seasons, 8007-4793 (.626), 71 Playoff Apps, 49 Division Titles, 33 League Titles
11 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104, 2115)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:57 pm

mhardy_03 wrote:The thing is, I don't think it is white people losing their minds over this. There probably are a number of people that are, but the media is making this into a national phenomenon just like they do with other things.

Then apparently I'm Facebook friends with everyone who thinks it's a massive deal. Because not a day has gone by that I haven't seen someone post something about Kaepernick or someone's response to Kaepernick since he did it. I do kinda like how it was missed that, as I understand it, he did this the week before it became a big deal too and nobody noticed, apparently.

But yes, the media is making a big deal about it. And they are intentionally wording it to make an issue. "Kaepernick is protesting the national anthem." No, he's not protesting the anthem. He's protesting civil injustice during the anthem. A small, but important distinction that differs from the narrative the media is trying to create.

At a lower level, they did it to Steph Curry after he got ejected in the NBA Finals and threw his mouthguard. The media phrasing was "Steph Curry throws mouth guard at fan." The phrasing implied he intentionally threw it at a fan. But rather, "Steph Curry throws mouth guard and it happens to hit a fan," was a more accurate description.

Editors are definitely feeding narratives. As I wrote that, this is all I could think about...

@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:13 pm

R27 wrote:
mhardy_03 wrote:The thing is, I don't think it is white people losing their minds over this. There probably are a number of people that are, but the media is making this into a national phenomenon just like they do with other things.

Then apparently I'm Facebook friends with everyone who thinks it's a massive deal. Because not a day has gone by that I haven't seen someone post something about Kaepernick or someone's response to Kaepernick since he did it. I do kinda like how it was missed that, as I understand it, he did this the week before it became a big deal too and nobody noticed, apparently.

But yes, the media is making a big deal about it. And they are intentionally wording it to make an issue. "Kaepernick is protesting the national anthem." No, he's not protesting the anthem. He's protesting civil injustice during the anthem. A small, but important distinction that differs from the narrative the media is trying to create.

At a lower level, they did it to Steph Curry after he got ejected in the NBA Finals and threw his mouthguard. The media phrasing was "Steph Curry throws mouth guard at fan." The phrasing implied he intentionally threw it at a fan. But rather, "Steph Curry throws mouth guard and it happens to hit a fan," was a more accurate description.

I don't get on Facebook much anymore but I have seen people posting about it also. If your definition of thinking it is a massive deal includes sharing memes over and over, then yes I agree that there are a ton of people in that category. If your definition is writing actual original thoughts about it, then I have seen it from very few. My definition is the latter. If I were to actually have a conversation about this issue, they might disagree with what he is doing, but I can almost guarantee most would say it isn't that big of a deal.

Yep, we agree the media is a joke. Sensationalism and purposefully controversial sounding titles just to get clicks.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

80 seasons, 8007-4793 (.626), 71 Playoff Apps, 49 Division Titles, 33 League Titles
11 World Series Titles (2047, 2072, 2076, 2078, 2084, 2087, 2092, 2101, 2102, 2104, 2115)
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:49 pm

A. The one thing I did think over-the-top were the socks with pigs in cop uniforms - AFTER the media attention began. Too far.

B. I think we're past the point where Internet postings can be given the same legitimacy as in-person, first-person comments.

Hardster, you & I had some epic disagreements & said over-the-top things to each other that never, ever would have happened in-person.
mhardy_03
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby mhardy_03 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:53 pm

chevyman58 wrote:A. The one thing I did think over-the-top were the socks with pigs in cop uniforms - AFTER the media attention began. Too far.

B. I think we're past the point where Internet postings can be given the same legitimacy as in-person, first-person comments.

Hardster, you & I had some epic disagreements & said over-the-top things to each other that never, ever would have happened in-person.

Yep. Online as a whole is a cesspool of people saying whatever they want, and I fell into that a while back and have since learned from it and moved on. I don't take what someone says or reposts on Facebook, Twitter, message boards, whatever too seriously. And actually that is a lot of the reason I stopped going to Facebook so much, was because of all the ridiculous fake anger over stupid things. And with this year's election coming up relatively soon, I'm definitely staying the hell away. All it is going to be is a bunch of people yelling at each other over whether the douche or turd is the least awful.
CSFBL - Bayside Tigers

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:20 pm

mhardy_03 wrote: All it is going to be is a bunch of people yelling at each other over whether the douche or turd is the least awful.

Which is EXACTLY what CNN is from 7-11:59 PM.

From 4am - Midnite it's 90% anti-Trump.

It seems like, by Nov. 8th, CNN & MSNBC combined will have found almost every one of the non-Trump voters & put them on the air.

What about ISSUES media? Not just the Presidential race, how about pursuing the Red Cross pissing-away $500M in Haiti Relief donations? I'm not a Huffington Post fan, but read about the Haiti insanity with the Red Cross. ON TOP OF all the Clinton Foundation swindling there.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:33 pm

TLR getting hammered.

We’ve reached a tipping point with La Russa, I suspect. He’s several years removed from a job where it was folly to criticize him (or, if you did, where you could expect some pretty pointed blowback). He has demonstrated a less-than-high aptitude for his current position. And, with yesterday’s comments, he showed that, when he’s talking about something other than baseball, he’s a reactionary old man who, with all due respect, is talking out of his ass.

Now the knives are out for him. I suspect there will be a lot more stabbing in the coming days.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/09/15/the ... yptr=yahoo
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:59 am

The Arizona Diamondbacks are parting with senior vice president of baseball operations De Jon Watson, and chief baseball officer Tony La Russa said he and general manager Dave Stewart may also be fired after the season.

La Russa said he will meet with owner Ken Kendrick and president and CEO Derrick Hall eventually about his status.

''If it gets turned over the next person, you gladly turn it over,'' La Russa said. ''When we're 20 games under .500, I felt if you're looking at the front office, the most responsible person, it would be me.''

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/dback ... --mlb.html
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:12 pm

The Diamondbacks are still a top offense. Not sure anyone could have seen Greinke going from a 1.66 ERA last year to a 4.42 this year. Or Shelby Miller going from a 3.02 ERA last year to a 6.90 this year. If either of those guys do something even career average, the team is vastly better. The Dbacks need pitching. Stewart and La Russa attempted to address it and made good moves.

The Segura trade was a good move. He's having a career year. Leads the NL in hits.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Albert Pujols and the Angels have decided to shut down the slugger for the final three games of the season. Pujols has been playing through plantar fasciitis in his right foot for an extended period.

Pujols entered Friday fourth in the Majors with 119 RBIs. The 36-year-old played in 152 games, hitting .268/.323/.457 with 19 doubles and 31 home runs.

If this guy coulda stayed healthy, as with Ken Griffey Jr., he mighta put Bonds in his rearview mirror.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:09 am

Albert Pujols had surgery on his right foot Friday, possibly sidelining him past opening day. Angels general manager Billy Eppler said Pujols had the procedure Friday in North Carolina to release his plantar fascia, the ligament connecting the heel to the toes.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:53 pm

Carlos Beltran is returning to Houston Saturday to a one-year, $16 million contract with a full no-trade clause, a source confirmed to MLB.com.
At age 39 he hit .295 with 29 homers and 93 RBIs in 151 games with New York and Texas.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:33 am

Jimmy Baseball's new baby girl, born Thanksgiving Day

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:37 am

Tigers signed INF Brendan Ryan to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports says that Ryan will receive a $625,000 salary if he's on the big league roster. Ryan, who turns 35 in March, spent nearly all of 2016 at the Triple-A level, batting just .241/.298/.305. Dec 19 - 8:32 PM
Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:54 am

1B Xavier Scruggs has signed a 1 year, $1 million deal to play for the NC Dinos in Korea.

Return to “Around the League”