2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Talk about the rest of the MLB and baseball in general.
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 3423
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:34 am

Cubs pitcher Williams Perez was involved in an apparent accidental shooting in Venezuela that left former baseball coach Cesar Quintero dead. According to reports out of Portuguesa, Venezuela, Perez was handing the gun to Quintero, 52, when it accidentally discharged. The initial report said that no foul play was suspected. It was later reported that the 26-year-old Perez had been arrested and was cooperating with the police investigation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Multiple media reports out of Venezuela are saying that the mother of Pittsburgh Pirates catcher Elias Diaz has been kidnapped. Diaz himself is reportedly in the United States, preparing for Pirates spring training which begins for catcher like him next week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After seeing Cubs fans turn Miller Park Blue last season the Brewers have taken steps to limit Cubs fans this year. This week, the Brewers announced that they will be doing a special presale for tickets to Cubs-Brewers games at the ballpark this season and it will only be open to Wisconsin residents, allowing the purchase of up to 8 tickets each. The 10 games between the Brewers and Cubs at the ballpark will go on sale beginning at 9 a.m. Friday morning, and will continue through Feb. 15 at midnight. “It’s not that we dislike Cubs fans, per se. We just really prefer Brewers fans,” the team said in a tweet announcing the promotion.
User avatar
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:56 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby Tulcard » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Cubs sign Darvish:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yu-darvish-sig ... -266253950

Six years seems like an awful long time.

No need to worry though. We've got Mikolas and a lot of unproven talent.
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 3423
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Darvish not worthy of carrying Tyler Lyons' jockstrap ..................
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 2624
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby R27 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 pm

Tulcard wrote:Cubs sign Darvish:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yu-darvish-sig ... -266253950

Six years seems like an awful long time.

No need to worry though. We've got Mikolas and a lot of unproven talent.

Three years of Lester and Darvish will be great for us.

I think Arrieta is better than Darvish, so not only did the Cubs get worse compared to last year, they signed up for six years of it. :lol:
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 3423
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby chevyman58 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:58 am

R27 wrote: I think Arrieta is better than Darvish


There's argument to be made in a Lynn/Darvish comparison as well

http://m.mlb.com/player/458681/lance-lynn

http://m.mlb.com/player/506433/yu-darvish
User avatar
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby Topps » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:41 pm

I don't expect Darvish to be an ace for the Cubs, I honestly think they went over board with that contract.

That said, at least they're making moves. The Cards have done jack to address needs this off season. Still questions in the rotation, closer, and 3rd base. I like the Ozuna trade but OF wasn't a need. There were several OF options coming into this year prior to making that move.
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 2624
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby R27 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:52 pm

chevyman58 wrote:
R27 wrote: I think Arrieta is better than Darvish


There's argument to be made in a Lynn/Darvish comparison as well

http://m.mlb.com/player/458681/lance-lynn

http://m.mlb.com/player/506433/yu-darvish

IMO, the top free agent pitchers this winter went Lynn > Arrieta > Darvish > Cobb. And there are big red flags on all of them.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
Razz
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 656
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby Razz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Topps wrote:I don't expect Darvish to be an ace for the Cubs, I honestly think they went over board with that contract.

That said, at least they're making moves. The Cards have done jack to address needs this off season. Still questions in the rotation, closer, and 3rd base. I like the Ozuna trade but OF wasn't a need. There were several OF options coming into this year prior to making that move.


I think Darvish has the potential to have 3 or 4 good years, and IMO that's all the Cubs care about. Anything on top of that is a bonus. Cubs top three beat our easily. They're making moves to win now, the Cardinal's aren't, at least not tot this point.
User avatar
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby Topps » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:07 pm

So apparently an assistant GM was asked and escorted out of the MLBPA spring training yesterday?

What is going on with these players? Wouldn't you want someone from teams to see you out there? This seems to be getting a little ridiculous.

Don't have an article, it was on Hot Stove this morning.
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 2624
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby R27 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Topps wrote:So apparently an assistant GM was asked and escorted out of the MLBPA spring training yesterday?

What is going on with these players? Wouldn't you want someone from teams to see you out there? This seems to be getting a little ridiculous.

Don't have an article, it was on Hot Stove this morning.

Yes. What the MLBPA has said is that it isn't a try out camp. If a team wants to arrange a workout with a particular player to see them, they can.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby Topps » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:23 pm

R27 wrote:
Topps wrote:So apparently an assistant GM was asked and escorted out of the MLBPA spring training yesterday?

What is going on with these players? Wouldn't you want someone from teams to see you out there? This seems to be getting a little ridiculous.

Don't have an article, it was on Hot Stove this morning.

Yes. What the MLBPA has said is that it isn't a try out camp. If a team wants to arrange a workout with a particular player to see them, they can.


That just seems dumb to me. I mean, if these players are really wanting to get signed, why not allow teams to come in. Why go through the entire extra process of setting up private workouts? Aren't they basically going through the regular spring training motions? If it's nothing out of the ordinary I don't see the harm in teams coming to get a look at guys. The players are making themselves look bad with the way things are going, at least in my opinion.
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 2624
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby R27 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Topps wrote:
R27 wrote:
Topps wrote:So apparently an assistant GM was asked and escorted out of the MLBPA spring training yesterday?

What is going on with these players? Wouldn't you want someone from teams to see you out there? This seems to be getting a little ridiculous.

Don't have an article, it was on Hot Stove this morning.

Yes. What the MLBPA has said is that it isn't a try out camp. If a team wants to arrange a workout with a particular player to see them, they can.


That just seems dumb to me. I mean, if these players are really wanting to get signed, why not allow teams to come in. Why go through the entire extra process of setting up private workouts? Aren't they basically going through the regular spring training motions? If it's nothing out of the ordinary I don't see the harm in teams coming to get a look at guys. The players are making themselves look bad with the way things are going, at least in my opinion.

I see it as the players want to approach the camp as if they're preparing and not as if they're earning a job.

My example would be Wong last spring. Going in he'd been told he was the starting second baseman, so he approached spring training like he was. He focused on being prepared to be the everyday guy and they'd pointed out he struggled hitting while behind in counts. So he went out in the spring, preparing for a job he thought he already had, and got behind in counts. Then was told he was being platooned because he didn't play well enough in the spring. But he would have approached the spring differently if he knew he was fighting for a job.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby Topps » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:53 pm

I can understand that.

The thing is though, these guys don't have a job at the moment. To me, they should be trying to show what they've got to earn that contract. It seems maybe they want to be paid based on past performances, which I understand, but that may or may not be happening right now. I'd be doing whatever I could to show that I'm in shape, ready to go, and wanting a job.
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 2624
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby R27 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Topps wrote:I can understand that.

The thing is though, these guys don't have a job at the moment. To me, they should be trying to show what they've got to earn that contract. It seems maybe they want to be paid based on past performances, which I understand, but that may or may not be happening right now. I'd be doing whatever I could to show that I'm in shape, ready to go, and wanting a job.

Everyone gets paid on past performance. And everyone always will. It's a combo of past performance plus how likely they determine you are to repeat that past performance.

There's very little to be gained by the players to open up their spring training camp to front offices.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 MLB News & Tidbits Thread

Postby Topps » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm

R27 wrote:
Topps wrote:I can understand that.

The thing is though, these guys don't have a job at the moment. To me, they should be trying to show what they've got to earn that contract. It seems maybe they want to be paid based on past performances, which I understand, but that may or may not be happening right now. I'd be doing whatever I could to show that I'm in shape, ready to go, and wanting a job.

Everyone gets paid on past performance. And everyone always will. It's a combo of past performance plus how likely they determine you are to repeat that past performance.

There's very little to be gained by the players to open up their spring training camp to front offices.


Yea, I get that. I even thought about it after I typed it that past performance is the biggest part of what's offered to these players. That said, with the stats that are out there now, it's most likely these clubs are looking to see if guys are declining or if their stats from the past year were an outlier or norm compared to the rest of their career.

GMs seem to be getting smarter about the way they are offering these contracts.

Return to “Around the League”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest