RBT Question Of The Day

Talk about the rest of the MLB and baseball in general.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

RBT Question Of The Day

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:18 am

Would the Astros have won the Crown without acquiring Justin Verlander on August 31st?
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Re: RBT Question Of The Day

Postby Topps » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 am

I don't think so.

There was an interview where Keuchel seemed upset that the Astros weren't making a move like some of the other clubs were doing. Verlander was that last minute move and seemed to be the push that the club needed from ownership. He changed the whole demeanor to me. Then you add the fact that he didn't lose a game once he got there. Without him, I don't think they'd have gotten it done.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:36 am

I think when you look at just what Verlander did you have to identify that he was a key part of that run. I think there's also the thing that acquiring a player like that ups the morale on the team which can help pull the team in the right direction.

I also think teams see where the holes are and where the needs are on the team and when you're winning like the Astros were and then management doesn't go fill those holes it can deflate the team.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
cardinalfan4life
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby cardinalfan4life » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:10 pm

I don't think so...he was just the piece the Astros needed at the time. he pitched like he did in his prime and the Astros should keep him around as long as hes able to pitch
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 am

Will Tiger Woods win a tournament this year, or ever again in his regular tour career?
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:34 am

Will Tommy Pham accomplish his goal of being the 1st 30-30 Cardinal?
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:48 am

chevyman58 wrote:Will Tommy Pham accomplish his goal of being the 1st 30-30 Cardinal?

He was 27 HR, 31 SB if you add in his time at Memphis. Based on his MLB stats, he would have needed roughly 700 PA to accomplish it. He'd have had to start about 153 games in the 2 spot to get there. So it's not impossible, but probably still unlikely. I like the aggressive goal, but I doubt his ability to get to 30 HR.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:10 am

I dunno. He did what he did last year hitting in front of Nobody for quite awhile. Put him in front of Ozuna, with Pham's ability to steal, and he oughta see some pretty good pitches (provided he can see at all).
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am

chevyman58 wrote:I dunno. He did what he did last year hitting in front of Nobody for quite awhile. Put him in front of Ozuna, with Pham's ability to steal, and he oughta see some pretty good pitches (provided he can see at all).

I'll let Tommy answer that one.

"I don't really understand that (that he'll see better pitches in front of Ozuna). I see a lot of good pitches cause I lay off the bad ones. That's the key to the game."

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:02 pm

R27 wrote:I'll let Tommy answer that one.

"I don't really understand that (that he'll see better pitches in front of Ozuna). I see a lot of good pitches cause I lay off the bad ones. That's the key to the game."

We'll see, I'll not argue with him. But he was second only to eagle-eye Carp in BBs last year. If that's because a guy with two bad eyes sees pitches better than everyone else ok. But I'd think hitting in front of the worst 3-4 combo in the league for awhile mighta helped too.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:33 am

WHAT in the heck are the Pirates doing? Won 98 games in '15 and have thrown in the towel ever since. What the heck?

Infielder Josh Harrison in a statement to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic:
“Baseball is a business and I understand that trades are part of the business. While I love this game, the reality is that I just lost two of my closest friends in the game. Cole and Cutch were not just friends, they were the best pitcher and best position player on the Pittsburgh Pirates. Now, I am the most tenured member of the Pirates, I want to win, I want to contend, I want to win championships in 2018, 2019 and beyond.”
After explaining his love for the city of Pittsburgh, Harrison makes it clear that he wants to be traded:
" If indeed the team does not expect to contend this year or next, perhaps it would be better for all involved, that I also am traded."
After the trades of McCutchen and Cole, Harrison is one of two players left on the roster who make over $10 million.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:41 am

They've made some puzzling moves. Starting with their decision to try to sneak Nicasio through waivers a second time after failing the first. Like they didn't expect he'd get grabbed again. Just because they didn't want to pay $600k for him to pitch for them through September. And they could have traded him for something earlier in the month, but pulled him back because they didn't want him to pitch for a month and a half in the NL Central when they weren't going to win anyway.

They did get some good near MLB ready pieces back in those trades. From the Cole trade: Moran is ready and should be good, Musgrove is ready and should be solid, Feliz is kind of a "meh" reliever thus far, and Martin is a year or two away but has a chance at being a big leaguer. From the McCutchen trade: Crick should be a quality MLB reliever and Reynolds is still 2-3 years away, but has a chance too.

But they've probably overspent the last few years, actually. Using the model I built a few years ago (which was accurate at the time, but I'd have to do a ton more research to determine whether it still is), they can probably sustain a $90 million payroll, which they've exceeded the last three years and even with the Cole and Cutch trades will be close this year.

I think lots of fans expected owners to throw the $50M payout they were all reported to have gotten for the sale of MLBAM at their teams, but ultimately none seem to have. And I'd imagine that it's because owners paid the costs to build it out of pocket rather than the teams paying it out of their budgets, so the owners view it as personal gains rather than additional income for their teams.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:38 am

Do you think Aaron Judge is the real deal & will hit 45+ HRs this season? (Hit 52 last year).
cardinalfan4life
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby cardinalfan4life » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 pm

I think he is but this year will be the true sign, pitchers know him now, he has to make the adjustment. I think he will hit 45 plus
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 pm

I don’t think he will. I think he’ll have a bit of a sophomore slump. 40-45 homers.

Return to “Around the League”