Official Chicago Cubs Thread

Talk about the rest of the MLB and baseball in general.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Re: 2016 Chicago Cubs - The Most Dangerous Team In Baseball!

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:34 am

Seems like we've had this discussion before.

My best friend, since childhood, a Cubs fan from Peoria. Two of my best friends here in Austin lifetime Cubs fans from Chicago & from Iowa. All three wonderful people, very objective, as tepid today as ever about the Cubs & their chances.

Don't judge every one of millions & millions of a fanbase by your personal interaction with a handful of idiots and the drunks hanging out in the bleachers at Wrigley. And today, I'd have to believe that if we'd been waiting over 39,000 days for a Ring that we'd be a little punchy too. :shock: :o
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:07 am

Cubs clinched NL Central Crown last night with late-night Cards' loss to Giants.

The two leading NL MVP candidates are both Cubs - Kris Bryant & Anthony Rizzo

The 1, 2 ERA leaders in MLB are both Cubs - Kyle Hendricks & Jon Lester. Then there's Jake Arrieta. Need a 4th starter? John Lackey.

The Cubs have the most dominant Closer in MLB - Aroldis Chapman.
EOCF
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby EOCF » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:33 am

They'd have to pull a Cubs to do anything less than make the World Series.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
CSFBL: New York River Pirates: (2037-2120)
46 Playoff appearances, 24 Division titles, 12 League titles
2053, 2057, 2058, 2074, 2090, 2113, 2114, 2116 & 2118 World Champions
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:50 am

Only nine times in the Wild Card era (1995 to present, 21 seasons, 43%*) has the team with the best regular season record won the World Series. Four times they won.

1995 Indians
1998 Yankees #
1999 Braves
2003 Yankees
2004 Cardinals
2007 Red Sox #
2009 Yankees #
2013 Cardinals
2013 Red Sox #

* Double counts 2013 since the Red Sox and Cardinals tied for best record and met in the World Series.
# Won World Series
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Team President Theo Epstein and the Chicago Cubs have agreed on a five-year contract extension.

Epstein and Chairman Tom Ricketts were scheduled to be in Pittsburgh on Wednesday night to announce the new deal.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:52 pm

chevyman58 wrote:Team President Theo Epstein and the Chicago Cubs have agreed on a five-year contract extension.

Epstein and Chairman Tom Ricketts were scheduled to be in Pittsburgh on Wednesday night to announce the new deal.

So given the Boston timeline, the Cubs have about five more years before they find themselves overloaded with bad contracts and start losing again.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:53 am

I think their youth corps is substantially deeper than Boston's & their core wasn't signed outa free agency. But I get your overall point. They're going to have a ton of their studs all overlap their Arb years & their freedom dates will be in a tight window.

That being said, since we laid down & broke Boston's drought for 'em in '04 they've been pretty steady. Just won the East last night again. Their down years have been very brief, bounced right back.

Right now I think Cubs' only 'bad' contract is potentially Heyward. If he stays a .230/.250, low-power guy that's a really bad deal. But the Cubs have a ton of money and an owner willing to spend it. They're building an entire destination area up there with all their surrounding projects & redevelopment. I don't see the Cubs falling off the map any time soon.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Just referencing his time with the Red Sox. He got out of town right before the team failed. If Cherington hadn't had LA come along and bail them out of the bad contracts, they'd have been in big trouble the last few years.

cardinalfan4life
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby cardinalfan4life » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:48 am

problem I see with Cubs and mark my words. Yes, they got all these young studs, yes there ALL very talented, but lets use the example:

If Jason Heyward is worth what was it 10/250? then What would Kris Bryant be worth? Kids gonna get paid, unless he falls off a cliff between now and FA

What about Rizzo? and down the line:

Pitching, is something this cub draft, to the best of my knowledge hasnot drafted. Jakes contract, has been a bargin. Hendricks seems like a solid 2-3 SP. but, what about the rest? there all old. bullpen, has improved from this time last year, but how many are rentals?
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:57 am

It's the same as all the other teams. When your good young players get old, you can't pay them all, so you've got make good choices in the draft to bring guys along to replace them and pick wisely who you keep.

The Cubs are an odd build in that the guys who will be the pillars of the organization for the next 5-10 years are all infielders. Rizzo, Baez, Russell, and Bryant. Corner outfielders are much easier to find than any of those. I think it's more happenstance than planning, but it bodes well for them. Especially since all four are good defensive fielders.

Rizzo's locked up through 2021 at a maximum price of $14.5 million. Bryant, Baez, and Russell won't hit free agency until after 2021. Coincidentally, Theo's new deal expires after 2021 too... Hmm... Anyway, Heyward is good enough defensively that he won't drag the team down, even if he stays around and never starts hitting much better than he has this year.

Their pitching staff is old, at 30.3 years average age. Pitching is a big need. Arrieta's deal should be interesting because he wasn't happy with the way it was handled this winter, but it sounds like he understand's its the business side and didn't take it personally. Lester's deal will hurt them by the end, I think and he's signed through at least 2020. Hendricks is their only starting pitcher younger than 30 right now. Only one pitcher in their top 5 prospects.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:37 am

OF: Soler, Schwarber and Bryant plays a fine LF - I think they're fine for OF core for awhile too. Add Zobrist for awhile on IF.

What the Cubs also have to stay competitive is lotsa money, and a willingness to spend it.

We owe Waino $39M for the next 2 years. We owe Leake $78M for the next 4 or $89M for the next 5. I hope Leake gets alot better. Waino too.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:46 am

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:58 am

In Season 1 of an eight-year, $184 million pact, Heyward did not start a third straight postseason game, including the first two of the World Series against righties. He has now not started five of 12 postseason games.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/26/why-cubs-i ... of-regret/
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:53 am

chevyman58 wrote:In Season 1 of an eight-year, $184 million pact, Heyward did not start a third straight postseason game, including the first two of the World Series against righties. He has now not started five of 12 postseason games.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/26/why-cubs-i ... of-regret/

I like how the reporter asked Hoyer about whether they have buyer's remorse on a giant contract that they have 7 more years of potentially dealing with this guy on. Like he's going to ever publicly say yes.

chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:26 am

All my Cubs friends were ribbing me all Winter & Spring about how they 'stole' the best FA on the market from us.

For the last couple months they've been puking about him, screaming for him to be benched, how to get rid of him.

I, of course, have rubbed him in their faces since NLDS Game 1. Every day, every game, every out, every bad throw, every single time. What really does the trick is when I call him Alfonso Heyward in every text. Difference is, Cubs got quite a few years of good production outa Sori.

The Soriano contract was the heaviest of a loaded basket of bad contracts that ultimately made Hendry public enemy number one in Wrigleyville. Heyward's may turn out to be substantially worse. But as long as Theo's winning no one will care. At all.

Return to “Around the League”