Game 2, Cardinals @ Pirates, 04/05/16, 6:05 PM CST

Have some thoughts on the game? Discuss it here.
MadHungo
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Re: Game 2, Cardinals @ Pirates, 04/05/16, 6:05 PM CST

Postby MadHungo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:43 am

Razz wrote:In all fairness to Wong, he did get a good hit against a very tough lefty. It's just a shame we're having trouble getting guys home. Hated seeing Hazelbaker get a double and then have Wong, Carpenter and Piscotty not able to get him to third.

Same 'ole song-n-dance from last season :[

And what gets me the most is the patience the Cards offense DO NOT have! I'd just like to see them make the pitchers work a little more, no matter who it is!
Image Image
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:15 am

Razz wrote:In all fairness to Wong, he did get a good hit against a very tough lefty. It's just a shame we're having trouble getting guys home. Hated seeing Hazelbaker get a double and then have Wong, Carpenter and Piscotty not able to get him to third.

Come on Razz, that's a props mention in balance to that embarrassing sac bunt AB? A hit off a lefty that had zero impact on run production? I'd expect a lefty MLB player, ANY MLB player, to occasionally get a hit off a lefty. That's what they're paid millions of dollars for.

I don't think most get props mention for serving a Big Mac 'n fries with a smile & kind word to a horrible, rude customer. And they often make just minimum wage. Wong consistently suffers complete & total brain-cramp under minor pressure at executing the most routine & fundamental tasks, tasks critical to the success of winning a ball game. I find it frustrating. At some point the 'he's young' excuse has to stop. Hundreds & hundreds of HS, College & Pro Games plus thousands of reps oughta stick. Especially for the kinda money he just got.

And just a reminder as we enter the season - I'll again mention the unique & enjoyable nature of Game Threads. They're different than discussion threads in that they provide oppty for real-time emotion & comment. Reactionary expression similar to that of what you'd say to your buddy sitting in the ballpark or at the bar watching on TV - without the expletives. I'm not on a general anti-Wong campaign, I don't chair a Never Wong SuperPac or tweet out #stopwong thruout the universe. The guy simply frustrates me on his routine, situational executions - time & time again.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:39 am

Seems to me Wong is still playing head games with himself. Until things click upstairs he's going to continue to struggle. Kid has all the talent in the world, but is preventing himself from relaxing and enjoying the game. This has been going on for a while.

My solution....send him down to AAA and let him work things out there.... 8-)
Razz
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Razz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:05 am

chevyman58 wrote:

Come on Razz, that's a props mention in balance to that embarrassing sac bunt AB? A hit off a lefty that had zero impact on run production? I'd expect a lefty MLB player, ANY MLB player, to occasionally get a hit off a lefty. That's what they're paid millions of dollars for.

I don't think most get props mention for serving a Big Mac 'n fries with a smile & kind word to a horrible, rude customer. And they often make just minimum wage. Wong consistently suffers complete & total brain-cramp under minor pressure at executing the most routine & fundamental tasks, tasks critical to the success of winning a ball game. I find it frustrating. At some point the 'he's young' excuse has to stop. Hundreds & hundreds of HS, College & Pro Games plus thousands of reps oughta stick. Especially for the kinda money he just got.

And just a reminder as we enter the season - I'll again mention the unique & enjoyable nature of Game Threads. They're different than discussion threads in that they provide oppty for real-time emotion & comment. Reactionary expression similar to that of what you'd say to your buddy sitting in the ballpark or at the bar watching on TV - without the expletives. I'm not on a general anti-Wong campaign, I don't chair a Never Wong SuperPac or tweet out #stopwong thruout the universe. The guy simply frustrates me on his routine, situational executions - time & time again.

I wasn't giving props to Wong as much as just pointing out that he doesn't hit left hand pitching very well, but got a hit off of a very good left hand pitcher. More of an observation than giving a prop. In 2015 Wong hit .229 against lefties. Of our regular players, the only one worse is Adams. So by all rights, in the first game against Liriano, it should have been Gyorko at second and Diaz at short. Technically...

And speaking of situational hitting. We have had Grichuk hitting clean up the last two days. Why... because he hits the ball a long way when he hits it. On the other hand, in 2015 he had a .192 average with RISP and has looked completely lost at the plate so far. My point is, I don't think MM has put us in a very good position to win the first two games, but I share in the frustration from Wong and the rest of the offense as we continue to watch the same problem that has plagued us the last two seasons.

Return to “Game Threads”