Game 32: Pirates @ Cardinals, 5/8/2016, 1:15 pm CT

Have some thoughts on the game? Discuss it here.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Game 32: Pirates @ Cardinals, 5/8/2016, 1:15 pm CT

Postby chevyman58 » Sun May 08, 2016 8:54 am

Image vs Image
ImageImage

Gerrit Cole, RH, 2-3, 3.95 vs Michael Wacha, RH, 2-2, 2.65

Only Arrieta had more NL Wins in 2015 than Cole, who finished 19-8, Wacha was fifth with 17. Both have only two this season.

The Cardinals have been shut out in Wacha's last two outings, despite him striking out 17 in 15 innings. He's had five straight quality starts and is coming off his longest outing since his 2013 rookie season, throwing eight innings of one-run ball in Tuesday's 1-0 loss to Philadelphia.

Cole was tough on the Redbirds last season as he went 3-1 with a 2.39 ERA in four games.

Wacha has an 0.90 ERA in three starts at Busch this year.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Re: Game 32: Pirates @ Cardinals, 5/8/2016, 1:15 pm CT

Postby chevyman58 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:57 am

Hopefully the A Lineup will get us a Happy Flight to Hollywood. Gotta week in LA vs Pujols & Kershaw.

Cardinals Lineup:

1. Matt Carpenter, 3B

2. Stephen Piscotty, RF

3. Matt Holliday, LF

4. Brandon Moss, 1B

5. Yadier Molina, C

6. Jeremy Hazelbaker, CF

7. Aledmys Diaz, SS

8. Kolten Wong, 2B

9. Michael Wacha, RHP
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Sun May 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Let's wrap this series up with a Win today and send all STL Mothers home with a smile.

Wearing dark hats with a red STL on the front of the cap. Pirates have pink lettering on their uni's....teams using pink bats, wearing pink arm bands and shoes....all for Mom & I asume cancer awareness.... 8-)
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sun May 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Wacha up in the zone yet again, a 2-year trend. Sailing along then victimized by the long ball YET AGAIN.

3-1 Bucs in the 5th.

And Cy Arrieta has walked 4, allowed 4 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), losing 2-0 to Nats in 4th.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Bucs romp 10-5, we lose another game to the Cubs, now 9 back
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Sun May 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Unfortunately, we seem to be a very average team. Matheny said "We haven't gotten hot yet" in his postgame Miked Up interview.

I'd say about now we'd better begin winning consistently or this race may get too far out of hand for us to recover....fortunately there still is a ways to go.... 8-)
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:44 pm

I mean, we're still right there for a Wild Card spot. It's a long season and we've seen bigger leads evaporate in less time.

The Cardinals aren't a bad team. But they're not a great team either. They're good. And it's yet to be determined whether they're just good or very good. I don't think anyone can honestly say that the Cardinals are playing as well as expected this year. They're better than they've shown. We just don't know how much better yet.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
Razz
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Razz » Mon May 09, 2016 2:20 am

R27 wrote:I mean, we're still right there for a Wild Card spot. It's a long season and we've seen bigger leads evaporate in less time.

The Cardinals aren't a bad team. But they're not a great team either. They're good. And it's yet to be determined whether they're just good or very good. I don't think anyone can honestly say that the Cardinals are playing as well as expected this year. They're better than they've shown. We just don't know how much better yet.

I still think they're going to go as far as their pitching takes them. You're right R27, the Cards aren't terrible but they have be able to score against tougher competition. Got to cut way down on strike outs. Home runs aren't everything, this team needs to do better at manufacturing runs.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:44 am

Razz wrote:
R27 wrote:I mean, we're still right there for a Wild Card spot. It's a long season and we've seen bigger leads evaporate in less time.

I still think they're going to go as far as their pitching takes them. You're right R27, the Cards aren't terrible but they have be able to score against tougher competition. Got to cut way down on strike outs. Home runs aren't everything, this team needs to do better at manufacturing runs.

It's funny the last couple years most are all going, "Man, if they'd just hit more home runs they'd be fine." They hit more home runs and we're all like, "Man, if they'd just manufacture more runs they'd be fine." :lol: Bottom line though is figuring out how to score runs when they need them. Which has pretty much been this team's problem since 2013.

They're really not striking out at a very high rate comparable to last year. 20.7% so far this year, 20.6% last season.

Everyone gets worked up about strikeouts. But they aren't the worst way to get out. Yeah, reduces the #BaseballHappens aspect of it, but worse things can happen when you put the bat on the ball.
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Mon May 09, 2016 11:16 am

The biggest issues I see with this team is inconsistent pitching and a bipolar offense. One night the pitching is lights out, the next night it looks like someone took a gas can to the thing. Same with the offense, it seems like they either blow the doors off of a team or they get shutout.

I like the power, I just hope the offense begins to find some consistency. Same with the pitching, we've gotta get in a nice groove because if we don't, catching up to the Cubs and Pirates is going to be a hard thing to accomplish.
Razz
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby Razz » Mon May 09, 2016 1:54 pm

The offense isn't showing up consistently when we face tougher competition. Against the Nats, Pirates and Cubs we're not doing very well. We hit home runs against weaker pitching. Moss and Grichuk have been put in the clean up spot much of the season so far. There's no question that they both have home run power. However, they're career averages, and averages with RISP are terrible. With those two hitting behind Holliday it's unlikely he's going to get good pitches to hit. Domino effect as to why we can't be consistent. Too many holes, so opposing pitchers can pitch around our offensive threats.
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Mon May 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Over all the offense, pitching and defense has been inconsistent. Just as MT and Razz have stated. Until we improve basically everywhere except the pen we will remain an average club. Good thing is there is time to right the ship. Bad news is we are falling further behind each series.

Other clubs aren't going away. We are going to have to earn this day by day.... 8-)

Return to “Game Threads”