NFL News 2015

The NFL and college football.
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 2522
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

NFL News 2015

Postby chevyman58 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:26 pm

Longtime Oakland Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler died Thursday in Gulfport, Miss., according to WPMI. He was 69 years old.
His death was confirmed by Fox WBRC, and through a statement from Stabler's family that said he died of colon cancer.

RIP Snake

ImageImage
User avatar
Topps
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:21 pm
Contact:

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby Topps » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Saw it reported then retracted then reported again. Sad news indeed.

RIP
User avatar
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:56 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby Tulcard » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:43 pm

Sad, will miss "The Snake." Enjoyed watching him play back in the day. Made me a Raida fan.... 8-)
User avatar
EOCF
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:33 pm
Location: Normal, Illinois

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby EOCF » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Greg Hardy's suspension reduced to four games

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy had his suspension reduced from 10 games to four on appeal by arbitrator Harold Henderson, the NFL announced Friday.

The NFL initially suspended Hardy in April for what it deemed to be multiple violations of the league's personal conduct policy during an incident with a former girlfriend in the spring of 2014. The charges against Hardy were eventually dismissed after Nicole Holder refused to cooperate with the Mecklenburg (North Carolina) County district attorney's office.


I think this is a pretty good indication that we will at least see Brady's suspension cut down to 2 games.
CSFBL: New York River Pirates: (2037-2111)
39 Playoff appearances, 18 Division titles, 7 League titles
2053, 2057, 2058, 2074 & 2090 World Champions
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 1883
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby R27 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:50 pm

EOCF wrote:I think this is a pretty good indication that we will at least see Brady's suspension cut down to 2 games.

It's a little ridiculous that it hasn't been announced yet. Balls deflated in January and six months later we still haven't heard the results of his appeal. Goodell knows what he's going to do. Just do it and get it over with.
@JonDoble - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
EOCF
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:33 pm
Location: Normal, Illinois

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby EOCF » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:53 am

R27 wrote:
EOCF wrote:I think this is a pretty good indication that we will at least see Brady's suspension cut down to 2 games.

It's a little ridiculous that it hasn't been announced yet. Balls deflated in January and six months later we still haven't heard the results of his appeal. Goodell knows what he's going to do. Just do it and get it over with.


And here we are nearly two weeks later with no announcement :|

Patriots training camp starts on Wednesday.
CSFBL: New York River Pirates: (2037-2111)
39 Playoff appearances, 18 Division titles, 7 League titles
2053, 2057, 2058, 2074 & 2090 World Champions
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 1883
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby R27 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:15 pm

EOCF wrote:And here we are nearly two weeks later with no announcement :|

Patriots training camp starts on Wednesday.

Gooddell needs to be fired for not getting this dealt with an out of the way. Instead, he's let it fester. We should be talking about the 2016 season now, not the 2015 playoffs.

Image
@JonDoble - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:41 am

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby marteezy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:01 pm

So Tom Brady smashed his phone to a avoid turning it over as part of the investigation. So is it now safe to assume that he was involved. Or did he just find the perfect time to get clumsy.
User avatar
yawkeyway
Prospect
Prospect
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby yawkeyway » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:04 pm

marteezy wrote:So Tom Brady smashed his phone to a avoid turning it over as part of the investigation. So is it now safe to assume that he was involved. Or did he just find the perfect time to get clumsy.


The NFL was never going to see Brady's cellphone. He was under no obligation to turn it over to them.

They've moved from suspending him for probably being generally aware of the football pressure to suspending him for destroying his old phone.
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 1883
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby R27 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:24 pm

NFL is upholding Brady's suspension. Not only did Brady elect to not turn over his phone for review, he had the phone destroyed. I'll switch sides now that that little tid bit is out.

Mr. Brady explained that when he changes cell phones, he gives his old cell phone to an assistant with the instruction "to destroy the phone so that no one can ever, you know, reset it or do something where the information is available to anyone." But this conflicts with the fact that the cell phone he had used prior to November 6, 2014 was, in fact, available for Mr. Maryman's review. Had Mr. Brady followed what he and his attorneys called his "ordinary practice," one would expect that the cell phone he had used prior to November 6, 2014 would have been destroyed long before Mr. Maryman was hired. No explanation was provided for this anomaly."


Though that only keeps you from accessing them from the device. Your cell phone carrier has all those text messages if they were to request them.

Also, I still believe Goodell should be hired for his handling of this. No way he didn't know how he was going to rule about this the day after the appeal.
@JonDoble - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
yawkeyway
Prospect
Prospect
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby yawkeyway » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:50 pm

R27 wrote:Though that only keeps you from accessing them from the device. Your cell phone carrier has all those text messages if they were to request them.


The NFL would need subpoena power to get those, which they don't have.

I'd love to know what they thought they'd find on his phone that they couldn't get from recipients of his texts who produced their phones to the league (ballboys, coaches, etc.).

I fully recognize how bad it smells when Brady destroyed his cell phone on the eve of his hearing with Ted Wells, but that alone isn't enough for this to hold up in court. I forget where I read it, but someone put it very well in saying that "the NFL's smoking gun in this case is that there isn't one."

edit: Looks like the Brady camp suggested something along the lines of what I said earlier, in a footnote on Page 12:

"After the hearing and after the submission of post-hearing briefs, Mr Brady's certificed agents offered to provide a spreadsheet that would identify all of the individuals with hom Mr. Brady had exchanged text messages during that period; the agents suggested that the league could contact those individuals and request production of any relevant text messages that they retained."

The NFL argued that that approach was not practical.
Last edited by yawkeyway on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:41 am

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby marteezy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:57 pm

If there's nothing to hide, there's no reason to hide or destroy evidence. Especially if your trying to prove your innocence.

It'll be interesting if the NFLPA and Bray choose to take this to a federal court for an overturn. If they do, his carrier will then likely be subpoenaed to turnover the data.

I think the smart play for him is to accept his punishment and get ready for his debut against the Colts and let the critics determine what his legacy is.

I'm sure most will look at his legacy positively, but it's hard to ignore the Patriots history of cheating.
User avatar
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Posts: 1883
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby R27 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:58 pm

yawkeyway wrote:
R27 wrote:Though that only keeps you from accessing them from the device. Your cell phone carrier has all those text messages if they were to request them.


The NFL would need subpoena power to get those, which they don't have.

I'd love to know what they thought they'd find on his phone that they couldn't get from recipients of his texts who produced their phones to the league (ballboys, coaches, etc.).

Obviously Brady would have to request them for the NFL. And could have redacted what he didn't want shared. I'm with you that he didn't need to produce his phone, but the lengths it appears to went to to not share his phone with the NFL is way, way, way fishy.

marteezy wrote:It'll be interesting if the NFLPA and Bray choose to take this to a federal court for an overturn. If they do, his carrier will then likely be subpoenaed to turnover the data.

The NFL is a step ahead of you and has asked a district court to confirm the suspension. Not giving Brady and the NFLPA a chance to appeal first.
@JonDoble - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
User avatar
yawkeyway
Prospect
Prospect
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby yawkeyway » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:08 pm

R27 wrote:Obviously Brady would have to request them for the NFL. And could have redacted what he didn't want shared. I'm with you that he didn't need to produce his phone, but the lengths it appears to went to to not share his phone with the NFL is way, way, way fishy.


If he redacts any portion of those logs, whether because they're irrelevant, personal, or damning, wouldn't that allow Goodell to basically rule the same thing? Any redaction potentially means he didn't turn everything over/cooperate fully.
User avatar
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach
Posts: 2522
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:23 pm

Tom Brady legally destroys his personal phone and gets rewarded with a 4-game NFL suspension.

The former Secretary of State criminally wipes out thousands of Public Records embedded within 50,000 emails from her server & gets rewarded with the Democratic frontrunner title for Nomination for President of the United States.

We sure have our priorities straight & our societal parity protocols at a high level of integrity - don't we ................ ??

Return to “Football”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest