NFL News 2015

The NFL and college football.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Re: NFL News 2015

Postby marteezy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:30 pm

This has nothing to do with politics. This has everything to do with someone cheating and being too dumb to realize that his phone isn't the only place his text messages reside.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:04 pm

marteezy wrote:This has nothing to do with politics. This has everything to do with someone cheating

Nobody said it had anything to do with politics. It DOES have everything to do with someone cheating.

You've been all over Brady for this. But not a shred of outrage over the other cheater - the criminally illegal cheating one seeking the most powerful leadership role in the world rather than maintaining a leadership position on a football field.

Just pointing out the ridiculous priorities we as a society choose to be outraged about. There is a direct parallel between both, very much so.

And BTW - if you don't think the way Goodell's office has operated the past few years is 'politics' I've got news for ya.

Your the guy who makes excuses for & blames others for the actions of drug dealers, expresses sympathy for them.. But then you're relentless on seeking a pound of flesh out of an NFL quarterback who 'probably' knew clubhouse guys were lettin' a little air outa footballs.

Again ............... priorities regarding what we choose to be outraged about.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Well since Hilary hasn't been a topic of discussion, or one that I've followed on here, I don't know what you've discussed.

That said, I think the email thing is much like the Benghazi witch hunt thing, just a bunch of saber rattling. If Powell and Rice were given the option of using either a government system or private system. And neither were required to turn in all of their emails, why should she.

Oh I know why, she's running for president.

Back to Brady. He cheated, lied, tried to cover it up and got exposed. End of story.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:36 am

Thanks for confirming my point. Image
Tulcard
Hitting Coach
Hitting Coach

Postby Tulcard » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:20 am

["marteezy"

He cheated, lied, tried to cover it up and got exposed. End of story.]

Hmmmm....kind of sums it all up.... 8-)
yawkeyway
Prospect
Prospect

Postby yawkeyway » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:04 am

There's still no proof of any wrongdoing. If the NFL had proof, that would have been in the lead paragraph of Goddell's statement. Instead, we get "he didn't give us [_____], so that must be the smoking gun".

Remember, the head referee's best recollection on the night of the game was that the PSI readings were done with Gauge A, not Gauge B.

If Gauge A's readings were used, the PSI of the balls at halftime fell within an acceptable range after factoring for the ideal gas law.

It was more convenient for the Wells report to lead the referee to water with having him say it's "certainly possible" that he used Gauge B instead.

The NFL is running out of strawmen, Brady's phone being the most recent.

edit: Further illustrating that this is about way more than PSI, the Colts were also in violation of football preparation rules, according to the Wells report:

Footnote 11, Page 35 wrote:The guidelines stated that: “Prior to each game, a team‟s equipment manager will prepare 12 footballs to be used for non-kicking downs. The footballs will have the prior approval of the team‟s quarterback, who can briefly test them the preceding week, but the balls cannot be used during midweek or pregame practice sessions.

Footnote 21 Page 41 wrote:During our investigation, we also obtained information concerning the football preparation process used by the Colts. Colts personnel informed us that, like the Patriots, they take new footballs and rub them with a wet or warm towel to remove the outer preservative, followed by brushing with the same brushes provided by Wilson. Footballs are then used during practice, with the expectation that normal wear and tear on the footballs, and their interaction with players‟ sweat, will help break in the balls. Sean Sullivan, the Colts Equipment Manager, explained that, in his view, the best way to soften the leather is for the footballs to interact with sweat during practice and then get baked in the sun. The Colts repeat the brushing and baking process, and continue to practice with the footballs as they are broken in, until they reach a certain point, when they will be set aside for potential game use.

I suppose I'll hold my breath until Andrew Luck and Sean Sullivan turn in their cell phones.
R27
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Postby R27 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:35 am

NFL's Report wrote:"Second, at least by the time of the AFC Championship Game, the inflation level of the footballs was a matter of particular interest to Mr. Brady. He told the Patriots' equipment staff that he wanted the footballs inflated at the lowest permissible level; he reviewed a highlighted copy of the provision of the Playing Rules that addressed inflation of footballs; and he instructed the equipment staff to present a copy of the rule to the game officials. On the day of the AFC Championship Game, Mr. McNally told referee Walt Anderson that Mr. Brady wanted the balls inflated to a pressure of 12.5 psi. He told the investigators that "Tom ... always has me pass a message to the Official's [sic] that he likes the balls at the minimum permissible PSI of 12.5. ... I know this is what Tom wants, and I have been personally told by him of the ball weight preference."

It's a stupid situation that NFL got themselves into and has dragged out. The NFL has yet to prove that there was anything illegal with the footballs (and at this point can't). But at the same time, Brady isn't exactly acting innocent.

Goodell is smarting from the public beating he took on the DV issues and has basically taken this situation in attempt to re-establish himself as the disciplinarian who cares about the integrity of the game. And has just ended up looking stupid to anyone who actually considered this case with an open mind.

I think Brady and the NFLPA have a very good case at getting this reduced to a simple fine in court. The NFL can't prove that the balls were illegal. And a simple fine is exactly how the NFL has handed previous failures to cooperate with an NFL investigation. Favre refused to turn over his phone got a $50,000 fine. The Chargers destroyed the illegal towels that were used to make the balls stickier got a $20,000 fine.

The irony there is that Favre's fine was related to failing to cooperate in an investigation into him sending pics of little Brett to Jets employees. Chargers were believed to be altering the footballs and got virtually nothing. Favre's fine for off the field stuff was over twice as large as the Chargers' alleged cheating! In less than 3 years, doctoring the footballs went from a $20k offense to a $1 million, 2 draft picks, and a 4 game suspension for your QB offense. :roll:
@JonDobleRBD - Redbird Dugout

El gato es en fuego en mi pantelones.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:03 pm

R27 wrote:to anyone who actually considered this case with an open mind.

Bingo.

So wasting your breath, as is Yawkey. No open mind then, no open mind now. "End of story".
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:14 pm

Kraft went back to an ESPN story shortly after the deflate-gate story broke, which reported incorrect psi numbers and shaped the controversy because the NFL never corrected them although it had the correct numbers. Kraft flatly said the NFL leaked that story, which should be troubling to everyone in the league if true.

"The league’s handling of this entire process has been extremely frustrating and disconcerting," Kraft said in his statement, which was broadcast by NFL Network. "I’ll never understand why an initial erroneous report regarding the initial psi level of footballs (which) was leaked by a source in the NFL a few days after the AFC championship game was never corrected by those who had the correct information. For four months that report cast aspersions and shaped public opinion."

Roger Goodell makes insane money, a ridiculous $44 million per year for seven years starting in 2012.. And he's an absolute buffoon IMO.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:26 pm

There are a number of layers to this thing. All of which should've and could've been avoided, but they weren't because all of the parties involved are stubborn.

1. Brady and the Pats could've acknowledged that something could've happened to the balls and were certain to correct any issues.

2. The lack of standards pertaining to football inflation levels in various climates along with the lack of clearly defined processes and procedures regarding the recording of inflation levels impacted the investigation.

3. The Patriots rather muddy history with being fast and loose with the rules more than likely swayed the decision.

4. Bob Kraft accepting the initial punishment for the league and now backtracking as if some back room deal was made doesn't really help his cause.

5. Brady and the fate of his phone doesn't scream innocence.

6. Lastly and probably most importantly, the CBA agreed upon by the players and owners has come back to haunt them. The NFLPA was more concerned about the financial aspects of the CBA than the disciplinary side of it and gave far too much power to the commissioner.

So now they are all in this situation and I don't feel sorry for anyone involved. Based on history, Brady and the Pats more than likely did something to the balls. Was it a difference maker? No way!!

But it does or did impact the integrity of the game. If the rules aren't being followed, no matter how insignificant, an unfair advantage to one team challenges the integrity of the game. And if the rest of the league believes that Brady and the Pats are getting away with playing with the rules again, you have big problems.

But once again, this all could've been avoided.
EOCF
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby EOCF » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Clearly a case of the coverup being worse than the crime. If Brady had just come out and said "yeah, I did it, it's a common practice. Every quarterback likes their football a certain way" this story would have lost traction months ago.

I'll never have much sympathy for the Patriots so if Brady misses these games I won't shed a tear. I think this final straw that brings down Goodell eventually though. It may not be soon, but I think it'll happen.
CSFBL: New York River Pirates: (2037-2114)
40 Playoff appearances, 19 Division titles, 8 League titles
2053, 2057, 2058, 2074, 2090 & 2113 World Champions
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:29 pm

There is clearly the very real possibility Brady did absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever, nor told anyone to do anything wrong.

That's the possibility y'all aren't even considering in your summary analysis.
marteezy
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby marteezy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 pm

chevyman58 wrote:There is clearly the very real possibility Brady did absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever, nor told anyone to do anything wrong.

Kinda like Lance Armstrong not doing it.
chevyman58
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Postby chevyman58 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Cute. Completely irrelevant, and sidestepping the very real possibility, but cute.
EOCF
Everyday Starter
Everyday Starter

Postby EOCF » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:18 pm

chevyman58 wrote:There is clearly the very real possibility Brady did absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever, nor told anyone to do anything wrong.

It's the defending champs' MVP QB who is generally considered to be a good guy and is the most influential player on the most influential team in the league owned by the most influential owner. This is a huge PR black eye on everyone involved. I just don't see the logic in the NFL suspending, then upholding a suspension of this magnitude if there is a reasonable chance that Brady is 100% in the right. No one in their right mind would think this is worth the headache.
CSFBL: New York River Pirates: (2037-2114)
40 Playoff appearances, 19 Division titles, 8 League titles
2053, 2057, 2058, 2074, 2090 & 2113 World Champions

Return to “Football”